Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Coping with gout symptoms

User Profile
I have been diagnosed with gout, however I have never had the swelling of a toe or anything like other gout sufferers. I woke up the one morning with pain in my back which was so painful that I battled to sleep. From there the pain progressed to the rest of my body - neck, arms, wrists, hands, fingers, hips, thighs, legs and feet. My feet are so painful especially if one presses in on the instep. In the mornings I battle to get going until the tendons (I would assume) manage to stretch and then I am fine. If I sit for some time, when I get up, the same thing. In the last couple of days I have found that on my left foot, about an inch below my ankle there is now a protruding swelling that has started, however, it is not painful, just strange and of concern.
Are these in fact symptoms of gout or do I need to take this further?
I have been taking my medication regularly, however, the pain is still just as bad, if not worse.

Please help; I have had this pain for about 4 months now!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2009
Coping with gout symptoms

It is possible that the symptoms you reported might be related to gout. It cannot be determined why you are experiencing the symptoms while being on recommended therapy.

You might want to visit your doctor to adjust the therapy or to have other medications if the ones you take seem to be ineffective. You might also consult with your physician to see if any foods you consume are not recommended while being treated for gout.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gout , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.