Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

continuing symptoms, despite sticking to diet

Hi. I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease just over a year ago and have stuck to the gluten free diet since. I have had some improvement in pain, but still feel sudden pain and urgency to get to a toilet before a bowel movement. Also am still having diarrhea and lots of gas each time. I have tried lactose free diet, and cutting out codex wheat and barley malt, as suggested by my dietitian, but with no benefit. My endoscopies and blood tests are both improving.

Has anyone got any advice, or had similar experiences???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2012
I am in the same boat as you. The fact that all of your test results are improving with the change in diet means that your body is actually healing. It may be taking your body a while to recover from all of the damage. Up to 80% of people with celiac disease continue to experience symptoms after being diagnosed with celiac. You may have a secondary auto-immune condition which is not uncommon.
|

replied January 30th, 2013
Experienced User
Soya has a very simmler protein to Glutin and many who have celiac deseas are also soya intolerant not that this is widely known, you may find it helps to eliminate food with soya in.
|

replied February 20th, 2013
I have had to eliminate all grains from my diet, only an occasional treat of GF bread. since starting a "back to basics" diet-----meat, veggies, fruit and nuts....I feel much better. i now drink almond milk.
|
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....