Hi

For as far back as I can remember I used to always have a regular bowel movement in the morning and had no problem with my system even if missed the opportunity to go for a while. However, about 6-8 years ago after living on my own for a few years I had some other people move in with me and it threw my system out of whack. It has never fully recovered since and within the last 24 months I have been to see two doctors (only once each but at the same surgery) to try to solve the problem. I'm only 35 years of age and it would be fair to say that this is having a negative affect on most parts of my daily life as I think about it all the time.

I have what I would describe as continual constipation. Typically what will happen is that I will continue to eat without any significant bowel movement for several days and then I will get cramping in my gut and it's possible to both feel and hear movement of liquid within the gut. I then typically get what I believe is overflow diahorea. This can happen at almost anytime and thus it makes life very difficult - especially work sometimes when I might not be able to rush to the bathroom. If I'm travelling away from home I would sometimes not eat for a couple of days before hand and even take anti-diahorea meds to prevent any embarrassing moments.

The first doctor I went to suggested improving the fibre in my diet. I have done this mostly by changing to brown bread and using extra sprinkle on fibre supplements in my food. This has not made much difference. I also added fruit but this has the negative effect on me of painful bloating in my stomach and more wind from my gut.

The second doctor prescribed laxatives for use over the course of a week to try to reset my system. Whilst the laxatives had the necessary effect at the time they almost made no difference to me once I finished taking them.

I'm planning to try the same thing again next week (using a weeks holiday from work) by taking exLax before bedtime so that I can get my system cleared every morning and in the hope that it will retrain itself. Failing this what would you recommend as the next step.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 5th, 2009
Cleanse (Detox)
I would suggest you explore the concept of Internal Cleansing or detoxficiation of the intestines (small and large). This is not really recognized by western medicine but it is a core concept of natural medicine.

I have had IBS diarrhea around 2004 to 2005 and then it became IBS constipation up till last year when I resolved to do cleansing. I tried psylium fiber, Colonix, colon Hydrotherapy, etc. nothing worked.

I then went on a wheat-free, meat-free, sugar-free, soda-free diet consisting of mainly fruits for breakfast, brown rice and veges/fish for lunch, and same thing for dinner. Also switched to alkaline water instead of regular mineral water. I was pretty regular by my 3rd month. But I had this heavy full feeling in my abdomen that would not go away.

Last month I went to a chinese doctor and asked that he prepare a medicinal cocktail that would detox my guts. THe results have been very encouraging. THe heavy feeling is about 80% gone. I don't feel too bloated right after eating. My congested sinus is about 70% decongested. I think more clearly. On somedays my energy level is really high - those days are quite rare. I am 32 years old, male, asian.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....