A little over a week ago a hard, a substantially heavy (2-3kg+), hard plastic container fell on my head from around a meter high while I was at work. Following the blow I felt fine apart from soreness at the point of impact. A goose-egg formed following the injury and persisted for about 2 days (?).

Since then I have had faint, sporadic pain at the point of impact coupled with sporadic numbness on the left jaw bone (same side as injury). I figured a head injury capable of substantial, long-term damage would have had more severe immediate symptoms (ie. blacking out, dizziness, nausea), but I only experienced some very mild light-headedness, though this could perhaps be attributed to lack of sleep/ poor diet. It's what I've been experiencing lately with this sporadic re-occuring headaches is what's worrying me.

Could someone with expertise in this field chime in?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2013
I am glad to be able to answer your question.
I agree with your conclusion. Since you did not feel bad after the injury there was no reason to be concerned about brain damage. The only concern is about delayed symptoms due to bleeding inside the head. The more time passed the less likely the bleeding. The younger you are the less likely you have any bleeding considering you are OK a week later.
Older people have more free space inside the skull because our brains are gradually shrinking over years. This is why a slow bleeding can reveal itself weeks after the injury. Headaches in these conditions are usually pretty constant rather than sporadic. If you are younger than 40 and generally feel OK I would not worry much about delayed symptoms. Keep in mind that this consultation can not be a substitute for face to face neurological evaluation.

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.