Hello,

I just drank about 2 teaspoons of baking soda/sodium bicarbonate right after eating a large meal. I heard about some health benefits of taking this stuff and thought I would try it out, I just forgot that I'm supposed to wait 2 to 3 hours after eating before consuming it. Should I be alarmed right now? I just read that in 1979, a guy named William Graves did what I did and ended up requiring emergency surgery because his stomach became ruptured.

We're not supposed to take sodium bicarbonate right after eating because it can neutralize our stomach acid and prevent our food from being fully digested right? William Graves seemed to have consumed a lot of different foods and drinks right before taking sodium bicarbonate. All I ate was two big slices of pepperoni pizza and some water. Should I be worried?

Thank you for your time
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2014
Experienced User
Well, you still here aren't you?
But if you ever want medical advice quickly, phone a doctor as your forum post may not be seen or answered for days.

OK. You neutralized your stomach acid. Those on high dose PPIs are doing that all the time. We can digest our food with reduced acid, the enzymes and the bile it meets in the duodenum help it digest there.

But why did you feel you needed sodium bicarbonate then? Do you regularly get acid after eating? If so, get it checked out to make sure you are not doing yourself any major damage.

For years I took (too many) antacids every day - until I had a kidney stone. The doctor, investigating why, checked my esophagus to find I had developed the precancerous condition Barrett's Esophagus.

"William Graves, editor of "National Geographic," sued the makers of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda, claiming that twelve years prior, after eating a bowl of chili, two martinis, and a glass of wine, he woke up with indigestion and drank some baking soda in a glass of water, causing his stomach to explode in 1979. However, he did have an ulcer to provide a point of failure."
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2014
Hello! I have a simple reasoning behind why I think that GERD can be cured and not just ameliorate. Once you were healthy and didn't have GERD, so if you put and end to what caused your gerd you can put an end to it. This means that you need to take a step back, put your medication aside and see what is that you do wrong. I am an alternative medicine adept and what I can recommend to you is to start a diet plan that doesn;t favorise gerd, strenghten your immune system and then try a natural remedy. A great natural remedy for GERD is clay. Clay cataplasms not only relief the burning sensation but, if you are consistent, will help you get rid of acid reflux. Good luck! Smile
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...