Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

constipation and tummy pain makes him roll on the floor!

User Profile
My 8 year old son had constipation and we got that under control. We have been keeping a diary from the start and there has been pain in his lower pelvic area that we pin pointed have gone to a theraputic massage and we found a lump/ bump.On the right side pelvic area.This has been going on for 6 weeks. After a long day of constant pain can't seem to pass gas and by evening his stomach is rock hard.I think the pain was there before the constipation and as a result of something else the constipation happened. Have gone to 7 different Dr's., 3 hospitals and they all are treating it as constipation no one seems to worry about the pain also had a ultra sound done and the appendix is fine.Have been checked for parisites,food allergies.He rolls around on the floor because his tummy hurts so bad has missed school for the last 6 weeks.Have tried advil for pain does'nt work.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2011
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A24847
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Since a ultrasound of the abdomen has been found to be normal, it is most probable that your son is indeed having constipation, associated with reduced intestinal motility.

Constipation is very common in children and it is usually caused by not drinking enough fluids, ‎not eating enough fiber, or having a diet high in constipating foods (milk, cheese, banannas, etc.).‎

Children with constipation usually either have very large hard stools or hard pellet like stools. ‎Bowel movements are also infrequent and painful.‎

Treatments for childhood constipation usually includes stool softeners and changing the child to ‎a less constipating diet, with more fiber and fluids. ‎

Good choices of fluids include apple and prune juice and perhaps switching older children to soy ‎milk. Reading food labels can help you to find high fiber foods.‎

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.