User Profile
I usually have very regular, once a day, bowel movements. I hadn't had one in a couple of days, but wasn't worried, until yesterday morning when I tried to go. At first, I was able to empty some of my bowels, but I couldn't push the rest out. Last night, it felt stuck in my rectum, I tried using my finger but couldn't get any out. I took a stool softener a couple of hours ago, and I'm hoping that will work. My question is, is this constipation (or is it fecal impaction)? Especially since I do feel an urge to go, but now my rectum is too sore to really push, and it won't come out anyway. Also, do I need to see a doctor, or will it eventually come out?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2009
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A6394

According to the data you provided, you might be experiencing constipation. It is too early to say for sure whether fecal impaction has occurred.

Laxatives, increased intake of fluids, and dietary fibers are used to treat constipation. Fecal impaction is usually treated with enemas to soften the impaction and disimpaction, i.e. digital manipulation by a health practitioner. Use of stimulant laxatives may be dangerous because of the possibility of stercoral perforation.

If this does not help, visiting a doctor would be recommended to distinguish between constipation and fecal impaction.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: dietary, fluids
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.