Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Constipated baby or hemmorhoids

My son is three months old & last week he was constipated. He passed his bowel movement after a lot of straining & it was quite hard & dry. I gave him a bit of prune juice that same day and switched him back to his regular formula (tried giving him Enfamil and went back to Similac Advance) He pooped twice on his own that day. However, ever since that episode last week, he hasnt had a movement on his own!

Ive been paranoid about him having to go through that again, as he was in a lot of pain and his little bum was all puckered up afterwards (do babies get hemmorhoids?) anyways, I've been using infant suppositories every night to make sure that he poops. I've tried just massaging his tummy as well as pumping his legs, but that only makes him fart. Im wondering if I should just wait until he passes on his own again or if he'll just get bunged up if I stop doing this? Should I switch to a lower-iron formula? Im a little scared to do that as I always read that iron-fortified is the best, anyone else have any of these problems?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You should talk to your doctor, but switching the formula to the low iron is the best way to go. He isn't going to have problems because you switched, they wouldn't make low iron formula if it was going to be bad for the babies. All because the iron-fortified formula is the best, doesn't mean that it is the best for your baby. You have to do what is right for your baby as an individual.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....