Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Constantly tired with swollen lymph nodes

User Profile
Hi I am an 18 year old female, and I'm in good shape, eating well and exercising. However, for the past couple of months I have been constantly tired no matter how much I sleep. I have had sinus infections, strep, and caught a handful of colds. My lymph nodes are swollen in several areas. I tend to bruise easily now, and I have noticed a petechiae like rash that comes and goes. I went to my doctor yesterday, and he could not figure it out. All the regular tests came back fine, except for a slightly lowered white blood cell count. He has sent off some blood work to check liver, kidney, and thyroid functions. I am waiting to hear back on those results. What is the likelihood that I could have some form of leukemia?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. You have picked the group for leukaemia when it is merely a sore throat causing lymphadenopathy and fatigue and illness. All you need is supportive care . Some Ibuprofen some antihistamines and home remedies like warm salt water gargles will help. Waiting and observing is preferable as it self resolves. However this petechial rash needs a little hematological work up to rule out any underlying bleeding diathesis otherwise wait and observe.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Leukemia
Quick Reply
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.