I am constantly licking my teeth! I've been doing it for about a year now. I lick them cause they feel fuzzy to me but the dentists say that my teeth are perfect and it's probably a problem with my tongue.

I tried looking on the net and no ones posted anything anywhere about anything like this. What could it be? Any ideas?

I'm worried about it, it's very distracting and annoying! It may be related to stress i pressume or a tongue thing? my tongue looks normal to me but i look like a wierdo licking my teeth all the time.

Any helpful answers will be much appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2011
There is nothing wrong with licking your teeth. Teeth can absorb calcium and magnesium if it exists in your saliva (it will if you have a good diet) so it can actually be beneficial to your teeth. Just don't overdo it around other people. Do it when alone and then think to yourself that that's enough for now so I won't need to do it again for a few hours or more.
|

replied January 12th, 2011
Its just a mannerism i think.. But remember tongue thrusting will always cause movements in your teeth. I am class II occlusion because when i was a teenager i use to play my tongue with my teeth. I try to push my tongue in the back of my teeth which actually caused a slight movement of my front teeth upper.but can be corrected with orthodontic treatment but i chose not to since it is not really bothering me =) But if its just a slight licking then i guess its fine.=)
|

replied March 19th, 2013
maybe its sensitive teeth?
I was doing this for the past week and it was driving me crazy. I used a sensitive teeth toothpaste with fluoride, there are types available that are fast relief. Look at colgate & sensodyne.

I'm using colgate it really helps. Rebuilds the enamel and protects the gums. Try it for a while, it'll help! I was licking my teeth because they were really sensitive - possibly from acid erosion (eating foods with Sugars...)
|

replied June 2nd, 2016
Were you ever able to stop licking the back of your teeth? I can't stop. It's so annoying. Any advise?
|
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....