Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

constantly have bursts of anger for no reason

User Profile
I constantly have bursts of anger for no reason, once it's over I usually wish I wouldn't have done it and go from being absolutely angry and freaking out to completely calm. My father is the same way, I have constant anxiety and I'm almost never COMPLETELY happy about something. My moods are all over the place but the most dominating and often reoccurring is anger, I literally wake up in the morning angry for no reason. I was never like this before I hit about 14, I just turned 21 and it seems to be getting increasingly worse. It just feels like I'm someone else completely when it's happening an I just don't feel like I can stop, no matter who I'm taking it out on, then I snap out of it after it finally exhaust's me and it's just almost like It was a different person acting that way. I don't have the money to go to the doctor and I don't have insurance. I feel like I can't handle this emotional roller-coaster anymore. Does this classify under Bipolar and if so what type?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2011
Bipolar Disorder Answer A22099


From your description here, it seems you are troubled with the anger issues more than anything else. And the recurrence of the anger is probably a reason why you want to know if this could be Bipolar Disorder. However, the symptoms you have described here are not sufficient to diagnose or rule out Bipolar Disorder.

Mood symptoms are prominent in Bipolar Disorder. Usually there should be alternate periods of depression and mania/hypomania, with intervening period of normal behavior and mood. There could even be two or more consecutive manic or depressive episodes. But the most important criteria is to have episodes of mania/hypomania and depression.

Anxiety also seems to play a major role in the emotional disturbances you might have.

Even without having a diagnosis for this, you can start working towards improving the situation. Ideally you should consult a Psychiatrist for a better understanding of the situation. If that is not possible, you can start with a few exercises for stress relief, such as the Jacobson's Progressive Muscle Relaxation.

As to the anger, it is important to exercise rational thinking 'during' a situation that normally produces the anger. Rational thinking can be viewed as a thinking pattern which allows you to reach your goals with minimum emotional disturbances. It needs practice, and it can be learned with the help of a psychotherapist, but you can certainly try it until you can manage to consult a doctor.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.