Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

constant urge to take a deep breath or yawn

Hi, I am a 25 year old woman living in Cape Town South Africa. So sorry for the long post but this needs to be explained in detail.

My problem: For about 5 months now I have had the constant urge/need to take deep breaths or yawn to get the feeling of filling and stretching my lungs. I get this urge/need every few minutes and I am unsure what it could be.

I have been to 2 doctors and both said my lungs and heart were fine. They tell me it is just in my head. I got married about a month ago and up until the wedding day I have had some anxiety but it was more excitement than anxiety. With all of this behind me I still have this breathing problem. In general I am not an anxious person. My job isn't stressful. I have no known allergies to any food or substances except for dust or cigarette smoke.

I have noticed when I breath through my mouth instead of my nose the need/urge to take a deep breath is less often. I do feel that my nose or nasal is a bit contracted/stuffed but not with mucus or anything. I just feels "tight" and even when I try to blow my nose there is no dripping or anything. Although I have noticed tiny specs of blood among the bit of nasal mucus that manages to reach the tissue.

I treat my hay fever with simple medication like Allerway 5. And it works. I rarely have a stuffy nose or any hay fever symptoms after taking the medication and it usually lasts for weeks sometimes a month that I am allergy free. As of last month I have not had a stuffy nose or itchy ears or eyes. I have no chronic diseases/illnesses/heart problems/bloodsugar problems. I am not a very active person but I am not unfit. (Climbing the stairs does not send me in to a breathing frenzy or does not give me heart palpitations. I do not have any sleeping problems. I do not struggle to go to sleep.

Is there anything that I can do to get rid of this breathing problem. I am getting tired of it and when I say tired I mean it wears me out. As I am sitting at the office I feel exhausted as if I did not get enough sleep.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 20th, 2015
Hi Animella, congrat on your marriage. I feel the same that my lungs are not expanding enough to supply oxygen to body, but this feeling goes away when I am not conscious about it. following things help me.
1 daily walk of 30 min
2 breathing exercise
3 laxotanil (Bromazepam) for anxiety.
Hope u get rid of this feeling soon.
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. With every thing fine, this is anxiety and it is called psychogenic dyspnea. Anxiolytics, behavioural therapy and keeping one self distracted helps.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.