Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Constant state of allergic reaction

I am allergic to the cold. I break out in hives any time I feel cold. I am currently living in the far north, and it gets pretty cold. Every day, all day, some part of me has hives. I wear plenty of clothes and have heaters on and cover with blankets. I also take antihistamine daily, but it doesn't help. I was just wondering what effect this will have on my body and all the systems in it if I am in a constant state of an allergic reaction. Poor immunity? Stresses adrenals? Endocrine?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 4th, 2014
My skin also hates the cold. Allergic reaction turns into Anxiety which in turn makes the reaction even worse. It is likely that you have poor immunity. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is an Immune disorder and we have a very hard time regulating our body temps. It might be worth having a Full Thyroid panel as well as Other hormones checked for an imbalance. Most docs will only Test T4 and sometimes that comes in at normal range but if your T3 is not converting, than you can still by Hypothyroid. Adrenal Fatique and low cortisol Levels may be another thing to get checked out. An Endocrinologist would be the best Doctor to see regarding anything hormonal related. I sympathize with you, I hate winter and tend to hibernate in bed where it's warmer. A hot shower can help elevate your body temp temporarily and without stress. I've been known to get in the shower just to get my baseline temps back up where they belong.
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i want you to know that allergy to cold is rather body response to cold. Keeping oneself warm and use of topical vasodilators helps. If airways get infection then supportive care is advised in that regard. Let your doctor have a look and decide your management plan accordingly.

Take care
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.