Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Constant head pressure and lightheadedness

Hi,

I am new to the boards here and I appreciate any feedback that you should provide. With that said I've been suffering from constant head pressure and lightheadedness since March 2008. It was then that I bumped my head on the wall. It wasn't anything really jarring and I was not dizzy nor did I lose consciousness.

Ever since then, I have had a constant feeling of pressure in my head. I can feel the pressure on the top of my head when I press on my scalp or wash my hair. It seems to intensify when I exert myself or exercise. I had a mild concussion in October 2007 and January 2008 while playing recreational sports and had this feeling for about a few weeks before it subsided.

A week after my October concussion I flew on an airplane from Florida to Ohio and experienced extreme head pressure. I felt like my head was going to explode. It was different from the normal pressure you feel on a flight because it lasted throughout the entire flight. It was so bad that I could not think or speak.

In November 2007, I had a CT scan and MRI and everything checked out fine.

I saw a neurologist in May 2008 and he said it was "post concussion syndrome." He told me to start exercising moderately and that it was okay to drink coffee. However it seems like those things are making the symptoms worse. The only time the symptoms are very low or mild is when I'm going to sleep and when I'm waking up in the morning. I read somewhere it could be inflamed blood vessels.

I saw the neurologist again in July 2008 and he said I should see a shrink and he gave me Pamelor (nortriptyline) as he said it would help alleviate pressure. The medication also seemed to make my symptoms worse. He also refused to order another MRI because he said the one from October was enough.

I know I'm not imagining this or fabricating it through my own anxiety -- these are real symptoms that started when I bumped my head. At this point I really don't know what to do. I feel like I'm living in a haze and the pressure, although tolerable, is extremely annoying and I never feel like myself.

I saw another neurologist in July 2009 and she prescribed me Xanax and then Lexapro as she chalked it up to anxiety. However, I did request that I wanted an MRA scan to check my blood vessels and possible aneurysms. I had that done today (8/5/09) and will find out the results in a few days.

Do you have any idea of what this could be?

Thanks so much!
Pat
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
thank you
you have head pressure dont worry pls visit this link..
|

replied November 16th, 2009
head pressure
hello im new to this sight, but i feel your frustration, i too have pressure in my head. i have tried everything and when i take any kind of pain releivers my brain feels even more strange for a moment. mine is located on the left around my ear area. i have had not bumps or head injuries. i only feel good first thing in the morning and go down hill as the day progresses with dizziness and weakness and nausea sweating etc. and have passed out a few times. i have had mris and my heart checked. i went to see an ent and he suggested a sleep study to see if it is from sleep apnea. for i have noticed a couple of times that i wake in the middle of the night gasping for air. the ent says that doing that alot can cause issues for the brain for lack of oxygen. so we will see college station, tx
|

replied January 18th, 2010
I too are feeling the exact same symptoms..with no concrete answers from any doctor.
I share your desperation! If you recieve an answer, please let us know!
|

replied July 4th, 2010
Hi all, I have been suffering from same symptoms for 6 months now. I have a constant pressure in my head that is really bad whenever i work out or exert myself in any way. I was recently doing really well until yesturday i took a drive as a passenger to NJ to see my friends. The ride was awful and i am dizzy today adn feel out of it. I hate this. and I hate the stupid doctor who try to make it out to be anxiety. They ruined my life!
|

replied October 15th, 2012
pressure in head from concussion
Oh my goodness i am so glad that i found this. Im 15 and i got a concussion over a year ago. I am suffering from the same exact symptoms. Its annoying and frusterating. I got the concussion from soccer and i spranged my neck as well. Ive been out of soccer for over a year, and i was on the number one team in the state and our region. But anyway.... I have done EVERYTHING. i have gotten acupuncture, therapy, dry needling, massage therapy, chiropracture, minupulation and physical therapy. Nothing has dramatically reduced the symptoms, but i am now seeing a minipulation doctor and a phys. Therapist. Apparently, when i spranged my neck, i moved stuff out of place..... Theyre trying to realligned it, but i do not feel any differend... But they say they know whats going one! I hate these stupid symptoms, and im so glad i found this because i thought i was making them up! Well i hope everyone gets better Smile because trust me.... I feel you!
|

replied January 15th, 2017
Hi Pat,

My name is Sarah. I got a concussion in August 2016 and I am experiencing the exact same symptoms as you. I accidentally ran into my boyfriend's back head on (I was running up behind him) but in the moment all I was concerned about was my nose. I started getting progressively worse headaches, head pressure and felt like I was in a "haze" as you describe it. I flew back to Toronto from Vancouver around 7 days after the concussion (which I do not think helped at all..) and I felt absolutely wiped.

It has been exactly 5 months since my concussion (so I have post-concussion syndrome) and I am still experiencing the constant head pressure, haze feeling and intermittent tension headaches. I have ruled out any possible physical issues with MRI and CT scans as well as gone to see doctors about my vision, neck etc and all were fine.

The only helpful information I received was that this may be a physiological dysfunction of my cerebral blood flow- which would explain the head pressure we both feel when exercising. The doctor recommended the Buffalo Treadmill Test, which will reintroduce exercise at 80% of your symptom threshold. Look it up!

Anyway, hopefully you're feeling better as it's been 8 years later... but with post-concussion syndrome you never know!

Sarah
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....