Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Constant chest tightness and ache

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
I have been having an aching/tight pain in my chest for 2 months now. I have gone to the doctor, who summed it up to 'anxiety', and had an ECG, which showed nothing. It is getting progressively worse, and hurts more when I laugh or cough, and at night when I sleep. I am a very calm collected and relaxed individual, who honestly is not holding on to much stress. Any suggestions here? I have been to my doctor twice, and she seems to be no help.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of your chest pain appears to be mostly benign and due to musculoskeletal issues.

Since you have already been examined by your doctor, and it has shown to be normal, cardiac causes can be ruled out.

The pain due to musculoskeletal causes, increase on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area as you have mentioned. Such pain can respond to €Žmedications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week.

To rule out other causes, here is a description of other common causes of chest pain which you may find informative.
Pneumonitis Or Pleuritis : Here the pain increases on deep breaths and is associated with symptoms like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.

GERD: This is a common condition that can cause people to worry that they have heart conditions. But €Žthis condition usually subsides after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors , like Omeprazole, or H2 Žblockers like Ranitidine.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.