Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

constant chest tightening and shortness of breath

I am having very uncomfortable chest tightening (not painful) but enough to shorten my breaths stop me in my tracks and at times change the pitch of my voice for a second. I have no other symptoms except headache after a long day of trying to breath. I have had this for about 8 years and have had EKG that's fine. It will go on all day not stopping for a moment...even had it last night in bed resting...felt like there was a truck on my chest. Its very aggravating. I may have it for a week at a time...then it goes away for 2 weeks then is back again for a week. I have been diagnosed with asthma and have asthmacort and pro air....these do not seem to help at all! I do not smoke, I am not over weight, and consider myself active and fit (not as much lately due to breathing issues). I have ALOT of stress in my life but I cant imagine these symptoms happening at night while I'm sleeping if its stress. Any ideas? I think my doctor is at a loss as well Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
I have the same exact symptoms, and seeing as I have alot of stress in my life as well, I'm guessing that it's anxiety. Mine is non stop, I check out physically in every way, and my doctors can't figure out what's wrong with me either. I'm just trying to take my mind off of it, but it's hard. :/
|

replied December 7th, 2009
trouble breathing
I started having trouble breathing about 7 years ago. I felt like I could never get enough air and the more I tried the worse it felt. My doctor tried me on alot of anxiety medicines but nothing really helped. I did feel somewhat depressed so we tried celexa. I really helped and was all better until the last month or so. The breahing thing is back. I am alittle distressed about some things at work but I know I tend to hold things inside. I started taking klonopen and it helps but only for a little while. We also switched to cymbalta but I dont really see any difference with it. This am I took my klonopen at approx 6am and at 8am I feel I need another or it just didnt work. When I look up anxiety it never even mentions trouble breathing as a symtom. I just wish this would go away.
|
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....