Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Constant chest pains when eating and drinking

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Iv had an ECG,Iv had x-rays looking , Iv taken painkillers, anti inflammatries and Im on antibiotics - but I still have a constant pain in my chest. It feels as if my oesophagus is closing up. There is no food stuck.
I dont know if it might be a tear on my oesphagus that could be inflamed? But why didnt the anti-inflammatory work?
The doctor says there is nothing wrong with me - but I can still feel this constant pain.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Anti inflammatory medications are not helpful to reduce the chestpain or discomfort that arises as a result of GERD or Gastritis. In fact they tend to worsen the condition by reducing mucosal protection.

To control the gastritis you can take tums, mylanta and other antacids.

In addition, omeprazole (Prilosec) might also help to reduce the acid secretions as well.

Intake of SUCRALFATE can help in mucosal healing and preventing further symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.