Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Constant ache after passing kidney stones

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
I have been suffering from a 6 mm kidney stone for 3 months. I have been in pain off and on for a very long time. I was finally referred to get lithotripsy and when I got there they couldn't find the stone on x-ray or ct scan. They say I must have passed it. I have had kidney stones before and know what it's like to pass them but I didn't feel that immense pain I have felt with smaller stones. And I'm still in pain. Like a constant ache in my right kidney. So could the stone have broken up on it's own or passed on it's own without me knowing? I don't think they would have missed it on a ct scan but how could I have passed it without knowing and why do I still hurt? Thanks for your help.


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 23rd, 2009
Kidney Conditions Answer A8667
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and i am glad to help you.

Your concern is regarding the 6 mm kidney stone having passed on its own and the constant ache still persisting. The stones up to 6 mm can pass spontaneously on their own without any intervention and without any symptoms but the passage usually produces pain and bleeding. Pain can remain in the flank or may shift from loin to groin with the passage of stones into the ureter. Pain usually occurs whenever the stone moves due to ureteral muscle spasm and may stop when it again lodges at a narrow point in the urinary tract.

Opioids are usually required for pain alleviation. Kidney stones may be associated with infection due to obstruction of the urinary tract. A non-contrast helical CT scan is now preferred for localization of stones and hardly misses a stone except very rare stones composed of certain drug residues in the urine. If a stone has passed and constant pain is still persisting, infection of the urinary tract must be ruled out with a complete urine examination and note made of other symptoms like fever with chills, increased frequency of urine, etc. If pain still persists, you might want to consult your physician for a repeat thorough examination and any other associated abdominal pathology.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasize a final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is just to provide medical information and that no treatment suggested above be taken without a face-to-face consultation with a health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.