Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Consptipation after larascopic appendectomy

User Profile
Hey,

I've recently had my appendix out. It was a pretty serious case, apparently one of the worst my surgeon had seen. i'm recovering now.... slowly but surely but I have a few concerns.

1. I had my appendix out four days ago and I still have not regained my appetite (though i am trying to eat anyway) and I am experiencing bloating, nausea and some belching as well as flatulence which is quite out of the norm for me.

2. I have not had a bowel movement since Thursday afternoon, which was 5 days ago! My mother recommends i take a laxative but I have declined; partially due to the fact that i don't know if that would be a good idea, and also because i am a little terrified of the pain it could cause.

I am unsure whether or not these two lots of symptoms are related.

I have also had lots of itching around the cuts but I have been told this is common so it is not a large concern of mine.

Thankyou~!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It is not uncommon to have problems with regular bowel movements after procedure like appendectomy.
The combination of anesthesia and pain medication can cause severe constipation for up to a week.
This can be treated with Metamucil each day, plus Milk of Magnesia if needed.
Still, failure to have a bowel movement after two days or longer must be reported to your surgeon.
In some cases, constipation along with abdominal pains in form of cramps, abdominal swelling, nausea and vomiting should raise suspicious about bowel obstruction, which is one of the complications of this surgery.
If your surgeon exclude bowel obstruction like possible problem, she/he will suggest you how to treat constipation with laxatives.
Don't take laxatives on your own!
|

User Profile
Thanks for your reply. I am well and truly praying that I do not have some form of bowel obstruction. Soon after my last post I had a bowel movement but it was very hard and the size of a peach pit. It was one of the more painful experiences of my life and I am still in a lot of pain from it. I am seeing my GP on Monday so I will raise this with her. Do you think maybe that is a little too long? I can probably make an earlier appointment.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome!
As I said due to pain killers use and anesthesia is expectable to have constipation even up to a week.
Try to eat healthy, high in fiber food, drink prune juice and plenty of water.
Avoid to strain when having a bowel movement.
|

User Profile
Thanks again. I'm hoping this will sort itself out. Hopefully the swelling will vanish soon and I'll be much more motile Smile

I'll keep you posted if it gets any worse, or *fingers crossed* any better.
|

User Profile
replied September 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Abdominal bloating with abdominal pains like cramps, especially in the lower abdominal area, always accompany the constipation.

Hope you feel better today!
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2019
Hello friends, how are you? I am a new member here. Already I
have read your nice discusses. I will share something helpful information about how to get rid of constipation soon. But leaving this page now, I want to say that constipation is a common problem of all ages people. We are all of the people should be careful about our lifestyle, daily meals, exercise, and more. And one thing that must need to drink enough water daily. Thanks...
|
Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...