my one week old son has a weird gunky crap in his eye, its only one eye but he can barely open it and its all swollen, i suspect conjunctivitis but cant get in touch with my midwife until tomorrow. What can i do in the mean time to alleviate his suffering and help to get rid of it? also is it something i did/didnt do that caused it?
Cheers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Well, first off you should be calling your son's pediatrician for this problem not a midwife in my opinion. While midwives are awesome your son should have his own doctor. It's probably just a blocked tear duct though. Use warm compresses and gently massage near the corner of his eye. My daughter had a very swollen eye that would fill with yellow gunk as soon as you would wipe it and we had to end up getting an antibiotic cream for her eye. It cleared up pretty quick after that.
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2008
Community Volunteer
If you are breastfeeding you can squirt some of your milk in the eye or on it. The antibiotic properties in the milk will do worlds of good. This may clear it up, with the additional wet cloth wiping.

There isn't much a doctor will do unless there is an actual infection. A blockage isn't an infection, it just means the eye isn't draining properly. This can lead to infection though, so do wipe and massage it with a warm wet cloth as monkey girl suggested.

It's nothing you did at all, so no guilt at all here. Blocked tear ducts are very common and generally can go away on their own without medication. If the eye is pink, then you will need to get a medicated prescription drop for the eye and it goes away after a few days.
|

replied January 19th, 2011
treatment of conjunctivitis in babies and eye sight
My baby has had conjunctivitis n one eye for nearly 3 months and 3 courses of antibiotics but still hasnt cleared fully. still needs to be cleaned of the green gunk most days. what else can i do and could it affect his eye-sight eventually?
|
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....