Our daughter is 10 months old and is diagnosed with conjunctivitis since birth. For 10 months we are trying with methods our pediatrician ophtalmologist subscribes, but without success.

In the beginning, we tried several antibiotics (embecyn (I suppose this is neomicyn?) and chloramphenicol), and then with physical draining.

After that, we done antibiogram, and it shown that the cause is Streptococcus pneumonia which is resistant to everything except to cephalosporines and vancomycin). After this, we started using Marocen (I believe this is Ciprofloxacin) and it seemed like it's working - her eyes got better. However, this worked only during the therapy; as soon as we stopped, it returned to old state.

Since this last for 10 months already, we are worried and we suspect that this therapy should have give some results. Since this is only pediatrician ophthalmologist in our country, we don't have an opportunity to ask for second opinion. We would be grateful for any advice or opinion regarding this.

Thanks and regards,
Zarija
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Community Volunteer
With all the money, time and pain that you are going through, it might be worth it to travel outside your country for a second opinion and treatment.

What country are you in?
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Hi and thanks for reply.

We are in Montenegro, which is rather small country. Of course, we wouldn't spare money or time when considering health of our daughter; however, our doctor states that this is not major issue, and that we only need to be patient.

If we decide to travel to some of neighboring countries, we would like to be well prepared and informed, so this is the reason why I'm asking for opinion/similar experiences.

How dangerous this can be? How urgent it is to react? Any comments would be helpful to us...
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
Well it's not exactly dangerous, but you will have to keep clearing her eyes for her until she is a suitable age for surgery, which is about one year old. If her tear ducts haven't opened by then, I think that's the only way to get rid of it. It's a pretty simple out-patient procedure that will open her tear ducts. Once they are opened, this problem should take care of itself.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_conjunctivitis _10875.bc?articleId=10875&page=3#artic lesection0
|
Users who thank mominashoe for this post: zarija 

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I wanted to wish you look and encourage you to seek the advice of another physician even if it means travelling. It is not normal for your child's eye to be infected for this long. Mominashoe gave some good advice and I can't say anything more than that really.
|
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....