Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Congestion in infants

User Profile
i have a 2 month old and he is very congested i have done steam in the bathroom and a vaporizer should i take him to the er

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 18th, 2008
Infants Answer A5094
Current medical status: i have a 2 month old and he is very congested i have done steam in the bathroom and a vaporizer should i take him to the er
Current medical treatment: none

No data was given about the time when the congestion started, and if there is a fever. Congestion in a baby is a very common condition, but should be taken seriously. The nasal mucosa might swell due to viral or bacterial infection. A fever can be present as well. Viral infections usually last for several days and the temperature is about 38C (100F). In bacterial infections the fever is present with higher temperatures. Please have in mind that a bacterial infection can follow after a viral infection, further complicating the condition. In both cases the baby might be rejecting the breast, because the congestion interferes with the breathing. The baby might be more agitated than usual, but it can be also more sleepy if the temperature is higher.

Generally, if a fever is not present and the congestion is no longer than 24-48 hours you might try to solve the problem at home by giving nasal drops and using a nasal aspirator. An air humidifier might be helpful, too. In any other cases, a baby should be taken to ER because little babies do not have a well developed thermoregulation system and might increase their temperature in a matter of hours, that might lead to other more severe complications.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.