User Profile
My sister and I, both when we were in high school had a congenital condition where our bile ducts were "tied in a knot", tightening over the years, until no bile could get through. This caused, jaundice, itching, weight loss and eventually surgery for a cholecystecomy. I have been trying to find out what this condition is called, but the hospital where we had the surgery doesn't have the records anymore (too long) I have been unsuccessful in locating the abnormality name on the computer. Do you have any insight? I was told at the time it was extremely rare and that we were inserted "in the books"

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2008
Bile Duct Disorders Answer A4113
The most common congenital biliary abnormalities seen in adults are choledochal cyst, anomalous junction of the pancreatic and common bile ducts, aberrant biliary ducts, choledochoceles, multiple communicating intra- and extrahepatic duct cysts, Caroli disease, pancreaticobiliary abnormalities associated with situs anomalies, annular pancreas, and aberrant pancreatic ducts associated with enteric duplication cysts.
I am not sure exactly which anomaly was yours.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bile Duct Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.