Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Alzheimer Disease Forum

Confusion, delusions, but no memory loss at 75?

User Profile
I really hope someone can help me. I've been a member for 10 years but this is the first time I'm not asking about myself.

My grandfather is 75 years old, he's never, EVER, been to a doctor, and he certainly won't go now. He is a huge man and can get violent, so forcing him is out of the question.
The problem is the last couple of years, he's been getting confused, but other days perfectly normal, but he has perfect memory all of the time. He remembers stories from when he was a kid, to historical facts, all along throughout his life up til what he had for breakfast tomorrow. But sometimes he starts telling bizarre stories, like his dog giving him CPR and getting a bullet out of his chest, or going to the gas station and being beaten up by police (we reviewed security footage, it didn't happen). Because he's elderly, people assume alzheimers, and maybe it is, but his personality hasn't changed and there's been no memory loss whatsoever.

Can anyone give any other suggestions?

And if not on the disease, suggestions with dealing with someone who won't been seen by a doctor? I love my grandfather and would love to be able to help him.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Kgirl16
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2015
You are really nice writing on behalf of your grandfather. He has dementia which can start off with many symptoms and not just memory problems. The problem is that dementia can be caused by many medical conditions, many of which are treatable such as hypothyroidism and B12 deficiency.

He may or may NOT have Alzheimer's but the rule of thumb is that all causes of dementia need to be checked out. He therefore NEEDS to see a doctor. I know this is going to sound harsh but it's for your grandfather's benefit. It sounds like he is not able to handle his affairs and if not a guardianship a POA would give you the ability to make him have needed medical care. There are elder care attorneys out there who would be able to give you the guidance you need to get him taken care of. Good luck to you!
Best wishes,
Dr.Kim
P.S. It is really not an option to just "deal with him" because no matter what the cause, he will get worse,and then what? Better to get him seen by a good doctor.

|

replied September 14th, 2015
Hi!

My grandmother is 95 and she started having memory loss and otehr signs of dementia a couple of years ago. She's in a home now but my dad visits her every week. As I live in Spain now I can't see her regularly, however, I work with a lady who practices facial reflexology and she gave me a protocol to treat my grandmother. I gave it to my father who applies it every week. There have been many improvement apart from having a clearer mind again. I don't know if it's related to the reflexology but her hearing is better and we're happy that she can watch TV again. Beforehand she only heard noise, no clear voices etc.

Anyway, I would ask your grandfather if he would like a weekly 'facial massage' for 'relaxation' purposes Wink It can't harm, only do good and there are many people who have experienced great improvement with reflexology.

The reflexology school I work with is Lone Sorensen

You can google her and you'll find she's one of the best in the world...

Best of luck to you and your family!
|

replied August 3rd, 2017
You sound very caring person who takes care of the family members. As, far as your grandparents are concerned they are vulnerable to such things like Alzheimer’s due to old age factor. A healthy life style, healthy food, healthy drinks instead of sugar choose alternative of sugar at this age and regular physical and mental activities can help your dearest grandparents.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Alzheimer's disease is a brain disorder that causes dementia. But what causes Alzheimers? What signs can you look for?...
Learn the most common signs and symptoms of the onset of Alzheimer Disease. We also discuss symptoms of dementia so you can know when to seek help. ...
Doctors can help determine the cause of memory loss or symptoms associated with Alzheimers. We outline the diagnostic protocol for AD and exams that are needed....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Alzheimer Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.