User Profile
September 5th 2007 my mom went through some very stressful stuff and came to stay with me, she started having really bad headaches everyday and just not feeling well. for 1-2 years leading up to that point she would get dizziness periodically. after a week of having these horrible headaches i woke up in the middle of the night to a sort of screaming, turns out my mom was having a seizure. it only lasted not even a minute, from the point when i got there. it was the epileptic shaking kind. went to hospital had MRI, cats scan etc. nothing showed up. a month later had 8 seizures in a row! she got put on medication to stop the seizures. but she still has the heaches and dizziness every single day for the last year and a half. the doctors are not finding anything, do you have any suggestions. her headaches are now behind her right eye, but have moved around her head. she also says it feels like her head is shaking and she can feel her heart in her head?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2008
Epilepsy Answer A4944
An MRI and CT-scan can’t confirm the presence of epilepsy. They can only reveal certain brain disorders (brain tumors, for example) that can cause secondary (symptomatic) epilepsy. These diagnostic procedures won’t reveal anything if your mother has primary (idiopathic) epilepsy.

Epilepsy (no matter the type) can be confirmed with an EEG. But further diagnostic procedures (MRI, CT, lumbar punition, carotid angiography…) can be requested to find out the reason for epilepsy. If no reason is found the epilepsy is idiopathic.

You could consult a neurologist about your mother’s condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.