Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Conditions that cause chronic joint problems in young woman?

Without injury, in the past 7 years I have had a herniated disc at C-5&6,a labral tear in my shoulder, rotator cuff impingement and chronic upper and lower back pain. My left SI joint is a constant problem, my hip is frequently out of alignment. I have problems with my knees locking (since I was a child) and have torn ligaments in my elbow lifting a 5 lb box. Is there a condition that puts me at predisposition for these problems? X-rays of my lumbar spine show arthritic changes as well as those of my T-spine. My orthopedic surgeon's explanation was simply that as a 'girl you are more loosey-goosey'. I don't buy that and at 34 I'm too young for these issues,which started in my early 20's. I do have a family history of DJD and Degenerative disc disease. My mother also has spinal stenosis, diagnosed in her early 40's.
I can't sleep at night due to the lower back pain, walking, sitting or standing is difficult and I am unable to bend to tie my shoe without difficulty standing back up.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 17th, 2013
Active User, very eHealthy
Quote:
Is there a condition that puts me at predisposition for these problems?

Yes and you answered it yourself:
1) My left SI joint is a constant problem.

2) My hip is frequently out of alignment.

3)I have problems with my knees locking.-

Quote:
My orthopedic surgeon's explanation was simply that as a 'girl you are more loosey-goosey'. I don't buy that and at 34 I'm too young for these issues,which started in my early 20's.

Yes, listen to your body. YOU are on the right track. It's not your flexibility but IMBALANCES that tear your discs apart and cause arthritis due to joints being out of alignment.

You can do exercises to balance out your hips and this will fix your SI problem and DDD. If you are interested I can give you a few.

Less effective is muscle balance massage and techniques like neurofascial release.

Good luck
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...