User Profile
This question is not for a diagnosis of myself but rather my girlfriend. She is in basic training at this time. She informed me last night that she fell and hit her head. They determined she had a concussion but she informed me also that she had a seizure afterwards. I do not know the totality of the circumstances as of yet. I am requesting her to get a copy of all of her medical records so I can have a specialists look them over as I have problems trusting the medical staff of the armed forces. Can you shed any light on the severity of the correlation between head trauma/concussion/seizure?? If possible also give me some pointers as to what my next move may be?? Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance and direction you may be able to give.


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2008
Neurological Disorders Answer A4244
Concussion is the simplest form of brain trauma. There are no organic damages to the brain in cases of concussion, only a temporary functional disorder. It is usually indicated with headache, amnesia for the causative event, temporary loss of or disturbed consciousness, nausea, dizziness, etc.

Symptoms tend to weaken and disappear in a few days.

Occurrence of new symptoms or worsening of the present ones indicates more severe trauma than a simple concussion. Seizure should be taken very seriously and further diagnostic procedures (MRI, EEG…) are required to identify the exact cause.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.