Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

conclusive that I am not infected?

User Profile
This episode of mistake and foolishness happened on 30th June, 2011. I had an encounter with a Commercial Sex Worker from Bombay. The last few days have been very scary and it looks like I am drifting towards death. Please help me doctor. It has been difficult time all through.

Now, I got my blood sampled on 8th July, 2011 i.e. 8 day PCR RNA test and the results I got on 13th July, 2011 are as under :

Test : Quantification of HIV - 1 RNA by standard procedure on COBAS Taq Man - 48

Method : COBAS Taq Man - 48 with Manual Extraction

Target Selection : Highly Conserved Sequence of Gag gene is selected for amplification and detection

Limit of detection : 47 copies / ml (28.2 IU/ml)

Measuring Range : 47-10,000,000 copies / ml (28.2 IU/ml - 6,000,000 IU/ml)

Result : TARGET NOT DETECTED

Please can you comment on the result? Can this be considered reliable and conclusive that I am not infected?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A25832
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The test done was PCR for HIV RNA detection.

The test results are negative for HIV RNA.

I assume that you underwent testing on your own, and were not well counselled.

The PCR -DNA test is a very accurate test for detecting HIV INFECTION. It detects the presence of the HIV DNA, in ‎the blood. Hence its accuracy is 100%. ‎

The PCR-DNA test gives a positive result within 10-14 days after exposure. In your case, the test was conducted at 8 days after exposure, and hence the test result is not valid.

HIV is best diagnosed based on the serological detection in the blood samples.

A person after exposure to HIV can get ‎tested as early as 4 weeks to 12 weeks with the ELISA for HIV antibody test. 90% of normal individuals who have HIV ‎exposure, will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. The sensitivity of the ELISA test is 99.9%. ‎

You might undergo a HIV PCR -DNA analysis after 2 weeks or a HIV ELISA + p24 combo test after 4 weeks after the exposure. This might give more accurate and valid results.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.