Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

concerned, my father, my guide has high CEA levels

Greetings,

I have two important questions that are related the high CEA levels. My father noticed a lump under his left side armpit almost a month ago. It feels kind of hard swollen and it hearts by touch. He eats well, sleeps well and shows common indications of any healthy person.
The doctor told him to do a blood test and couple of other tests. Anyways, the first test came out last Friday, and the CEA levels are apparently very high, around 22. He was told it might be an indication of cancer, but further tests are required, and the results are coming out next week.
I know that cancer and other types of diseases in other parts of the body can cause high CEA levels, but I particularly want to know about lymph glands.
First question is can a benign tumor on that lump area cause such high levels of CEA?
Second question is what other Lymph node diseases cause a high level of CEA?

I am so so concerned and worried about him. My father is my best friend, my saint, my guide. Please help me with giving me the best answers.

Thank You,

God Bless
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
Hard and tender lymph node pointes towards infective cause.
CEA is reliable neither for screening nor for diagnosis of cancer.
Primary Lymph node diseases donot lead to raised CEA level.
It can be raised in smokers,carcinoma of lung,breast,stomach,pancreas and colon.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.