Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Complex (Large) Ventral Hernia

I have a complex large ventral hernia and have had this for going on 9 years now. I have this because I had to have a bowel resection done 9 years ago and the incision became infected so they had to open it up and they left it open at the time because I was on chemotherapy and high does of steroids this was to control my disease which is called poleyartaritisnodosa (don't no how to spell), this is now in remission and has been for years. I had a skin graft cover the incision years ago and was told that I would be this way for the rest of my life, because it was to risky to fix it. Now 9 years later I am being told I need to have this fixed, that if I don't it will open up in the future and it will keep getting bigger. I have been told that this is a very big surgery and complex and I am very concerned. I am trying to find the best surgeon to have this closed with the best possible results. I have not been having much luck in finding a surgeon. I live in Michigan and I found two surgeons with U of M that specialize in this type of surgery but they are not taking new patients for a few months and they don't even have a waiting list. I would like to get this done sooner rather than later because my husband has a job with insurance now but he works in the mortgage industry and with everything going on in that industry I am worried we may not have insurance in the future. Can someone please help me find the best surgeons for this type of surgery, or steer me in the right direction.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2010
I do not live in Michigan, and so I cannot steer you to a specific surgeon. However, there are many general surgeons across the country that have a special interest in complex hernias. Perhaps you could contact the state medical society and obtain a referral to one or more such surgeons.


Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.