Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

complete oblique tibia fracture

hi! i had a complete oblique fracture at the junction of the mid to distal segment of the right tibia last aug.7 I went on a long leg cast for about a week.
my dr.replaced it with a knee length cast.and after a month I had an x-ray...and the result says : follow-up study of the right leg when compared with the study taken dated aug.7,2012 shows again the presence complete oblique fracture at the junction of the mid to distal segment of the right tibia.with no evidence of callus formation.there is good anatomical alignment noted.note presence of mold cast.the rest of the bones and joints of the right leg are intact. there are no signs of bone erosion nor bone destruction noted. The soft tissue shadows are not remarkable...
the doctor already removed my cast after6 weeks from the date of my mold cast apllication would it be really okay?
I\'m much afraid my bone might not heal properly..
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
alyssamarco,

Sorry about your injury.

It usually takes about 10-13 weeks for a low energy tibial shaft fracture to unite. Of course, every patient and fracture is unique and heals at they own rate.

When there is no radiographic evidence of fracture healing the orthopedic surgeon has to go on the clinical aspects of the case. These include such things as pain at the fracture site and if there is any gross motion at the fracture site on physical examination.

So, if I am reading your post correctly, you have no immobilization at all, just seven weeks after you fractured the tibia. That is pretty quick for most tibia fractures.

But, again, you have to go on how you are doing clinically. If you do not have any pain at the fracture site, then you are probably just fine. But, you will have to be careful. It is probably a good idea to avoid running, jumping, impact activities, pivoting activities, etc until there are actually signs of callus formation on your x-rays. Oblique fractures are actually one of the more unstable patterns. They have a tendency to slip and shorten if too much stress is applied to them too soon. So, if you are having any pain at the fracture site, you may want to use your crutches or a cane (in the hand opposite the injured leg). Mother nature gave us pain for a reason, so if we listen to our bodies, we are usually okay.

You also have to understand that just because there is no sign of callus formation, that does not mean that the fracture is not healing. The first thing that happens around a fracture is for a hematoma to form from the bleeding of the bone. This hematoma then undergoes consolidation, becomes like a big mass of blood jelly (gross, I know). Then, the body places osteoid in the place of the hematoma. Osteoid is the soft tissue matrix of bone. Once the osteoid has begun to be laid down, the fracture becomes “sticky”, the fragments are now “glued” together and do not move around very much anymore. Then the body calcifies the osteoid to make callus. So, your fracture is probably healing fine, it just has not made that last jump to callus yet.

If you have any concerns, contact your surgeon and ask.

Good luck.

(PS: the radiology report just basically states that there is an oblique fracture present in the tibia. The bone is well aligned. There is no sign of callus formation (new bone) yet. But, there are also no signs of anything bad going on. The soft tissues look okay. The x-ray was taken with a cast in place.)
|

replied September 28th, 2012
thank you so much for the quick reply!!
it makes me feel alot better and at ease to read your reply..
God bless!!!
|