Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Suggestions Forum

Compare your self to the average person?

I don't know if this will make any sense, but here goes...

What if, you could somehow, create a section that lists normal attributes, for a forum, so people can compare them to thier own to get a quick assessment wether they need to see a doctor/shrink? Almost like a Health FAQ? That can be filled up as people get answers so others can make easy use of them?

Something like...

The average carpul index is ... blah ...
The average human urinates ... blah ... times a day
The average human will suffer from depression at least once in their lifetime.
The average human will think of suicide ... blah ... times in their lifetime.
The average female will start to have morning sickness ... blah ... days after conceiving.

I'm thinking of...instead of a 'Symptom Checkker'...the opposite...more like 'Normalsy Checkker'? I know it almost kinda like a "Did you know?" thing...but that's not what I am after.

Tell me if this makes sens...or remove the post if it's utter nonsense Wink
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2008
Advanced Support Team
No, that makes sense... and is a genius idea! It would take some programming, though. I'll share it with the team here and get back to you.

Kudos!

Lee @ Admin

replied March 4th, 2008
Experienced User
Glad you like the idea Smile
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
You're a programmer, right? Do you think that this would take very long to develop?

replied March 12th, 2008
Experienced User
Hehe....that all depends on the system and what the system infrastructure is like...but as far as I can think, the most you would need is a db-structure, front end for the site-users to add categories, sub-categories, attributes and attribute values and even comments (Although comments should be limited to factual comments and not discussions) and then have an index with search & cross-referencing capabilities.

For the most part it would just be simple data-capture/lookup so there shouldn't be too much coding involved in terms of creating class-structures and complex data manipulation.

So depending on the person's confidence with the system-structure and the amount of functionality envissaged for the end product, it should not take all that long. All in all, a week for a person that knows the system inside and out...barring addition of known content if deemed necissary.

I don't know if ehealthforum runs off of it, but there is a great CMS (Content Management System) called "Joomla!" (http://www.joomla.org/)...it's quite easy to use and you get a huge array of addons - such as forums etc...but you need a webserver with php and MySQL to run it (Although service providers for the hosting of Joomla! pages, that carries the necissary software and support, is popping up like mushrooms)

Hope that answers your question...I tend to confuse people a lot as I have BPII and possibly even ADHD which makes it hard for me to keep my thaughts on track...(I end up thinking faster than I write/type Wink )
|

replied March 12th, 2008
Experienced User
Not to mention self-esteem & self-confidence...
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
That's really good information. Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your development knowledge with us. We like programmers over here. We're a bunch of nerds who drink tea and coffee together. Maybe one day you can join us!

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I really like this suggestion. It sounds like a neat idea
|

replied March 13th, 2008
Experienced User
Glad I could be of some help Wink

Hehe...I would love to...if only the R-$ exchange wasn't so harsh Wink Plain tickets cost a fortune...and even tho my nick suggests it, I don't have wings...yet Wink
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
Yeah --- and things are looking MUCH better in the coming couple of years, what with a global recession on our hands. This kind of application would be GREAT, though...I wonder where we could get the data from for the averages?