After reading some of these posts, I don't know whether to be scared shitless, or feel okay because I don't have an addictive personality.
I'm 19 years old, and I've been taking adderall since I was 16. I always had a hard time focusing in school, and I really never had the determination to do well in school either. After getting prescribed, my grades shot up tremendously. I felt smart for the first time in my life, and I was making my parents more than proud. Not only did adderall help my grades, but it helped my confidence in more ways than one. I have had a weight issue my whole life, and once I started taking adderall, everything changed. Each year I have continued to lose more and more weight because of the drug. I started at almost 230 lbs and am now at 168. The lowest I ever got was 155, but I was also using coccaine and ecstasy a lot at one point. I incorporated excercise sometimes, but normally I would depend on the adderall to help me not eat. Now, sometimes I feel like all I take adderall for is to help me with my appetite...but I really do have a hard time focusing. I lose track of what I'm doing VERY easily and I of course, have a hard time paying attention.
Here's where my concern comes in. I remember hearing that adderall can affect women with pregnancy issues. Does this drug comply in making women infertile? I know that for awhile, adderal would give me a serious stomach ache, making me feel nauseous, just for a minute or two. I got so used to the stomach problems that I would almost expect them, and just wait for it to pass.
I never overdose on my scrip. I'm prescribed 30 mg XRs, and when I have my medicine, I take one in the morning, just like it says on the bottle, and that's IT. I don't feel like I over abuse my scrip at all. And when I'm not on it, I don't find that I'm feening for it. All I ever want it for is to help me lose weight (really to help speed up my metabolism) or help me focus when I'm working.
I will go days without taking the adderal even when I do have it. I try my best to take it mainly when I need it. I haven't had it for almost 3 weeks, and I can function alright with out it. However, my life hasn't really consisted of doing much but bartend at night, and sleep in during the day.
My life feels extremely out of order right now, and I feel like my life was at it's best was when I was on adderal. I'm just so confused because I don't want to have to depend on this drug to make me feel better or to maintain my weight.
I also find that I start to breakout a lot when the drug is coming out of my system. Is that common?
I really hope that someone can reach out to me and give me some answers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2008
Forgive me as i am new to this forum and i am curious what was the drug originally prescribed for add.
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Supporter
Yes, Adderal is generally prescribed for attention deficit disorder.

Glamgal, it sounds like you could use the help of a detox center and perhaps even consider rehab for Adderall. It sounds as if you're taking the medication for the wrong reasons (losing weight) ... and you also use other recreational drugs. If you're ready, I'd suggest that you find a 28 day treatment center and focus on what's happening in your emotional life to draw you to these drugs.
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
if you're coming off something then it is best to stay with it. go off it slowly. that is what i did. with a lot of my medications. especially effexor, that sucked. just do it slowly.
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It doesn't affect fertility. It has no withdrawal effects. I would suggest you to start flouxetine to combat all these issues.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.