Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Combating a high sodium diet

Looking for nutrition-related health advice. I'm a counselor at a summer camp that doesn't have the greatest food. Even the salad bar is pretty weak. Last year, my ankles swelled up, and the camp nurse told me it was from all the sodium, and all she could give me was advil. Trying to anticipate this problem, is there anything I can take (vitamins, e.g.) that will help combat the sodium-heavy camp diet while I am there? Thanks for your help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2015
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. The only way to combat sodium rich diet is avoiding it . Low salt intake is must to combat sodium or it leads to complications like hypertension and congestive heart problems. Vitamins etc may help with electrolytes but only way to get rid of sodium build up is reducing intake of sodium and 80 % of that can be managed with low salt intake. Avoid processed and canned products and prefer natural ones.

I hope it helps. stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and can not be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.

Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diet, Nutrition
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nutrition , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.