Hello, my father (age 72) was admitted with Pneumonia to a local hospital almost 10 days ago. He started experiencing hallucinations, extreme sensitivity to touch all over his body, on day 2. Moved to Neurological ICU, where he has had contrast MRI on the Brain, chest x-rays, LP probe, and he is intubated, as his lungs are still infected from the pneumonia. His contrast MRI (brain) came back normal. He is in a coma as his entire nervous system is shutting down. He can only open his eyes, but can't focus well or for a long time. He is responsive (opens eyes) to family member's voices, but that is about it. The doctors have ruled out bacterial meningitis, Herpes Meningitis, GBS, and West Nile virus. They don't know what it is! Please give suggestions what it could be, and what other tests could be done. Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It could be delirium secondary to infection or electrolytes imbalance,dehydration or renal problems associated with pneumonia.
It could be due to type 2 respiratory failure.
I would suggest you to have his arterial blood gases,renal function tests and serum electrolytes.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.