Can someone help me out with this- my mother who was a healthy 73 year had a colonoscopy today and they found a tumor in the colon. I was not there with her so I did not get to speak with the Dr. He told her not to worry and made an appointment for her with a surgeon to discuss the removal. I am very upset about this. Why was the Dr unable to take a biopsy during the colonoscopy? She has been losing weight from not eating recently and has been very anemic. Does anyone know the differences in tumors? I am not sure of the location of the tumor. Thanks for anything on this- Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi and welcome to ehealthforum!
Colon cancer can grow for years before causing any symptoms.
Unexplained weight loss can be a sign that a tumor is releasing chemicals that are increasing body's metabolism. Also, a tumor that grows toward the end of the colon or in the rectum may cause a sense of fullness. This is because your body senses that there's something else hanging around by its exit.
An iron-deficiency anemia is a very natural result of a tumor on the right side of the colon (the right colon is ideal for tumor growth because it is more spacious and gives place for the tumor to grow and bleed. The bleeding is invisible for many months and even years). If it is growing on the left colon, fresh blood, which is bright red in color is usually seen. Losing blood results in anemia and anemic symptoms.

What kind of complains your mother has?
What made her ask for medical attention?
|

replied April 29th, 2008
Thank you so much for the response! I never thought about something at the end of the colon sensing fullness in the body. This would explain why my mother never eats everything on her plate, she fills right away. Since my posting we found out that the test came back as a "mass" not tumor as initially thought and there was a biopsy taken during the colonsocopy. Do you know much about "inflamatory mass of the cecum"? I was wondering if its possible because the Dr showed us on a chart that this mass is exactly on the cecum. I didn't realize the right colon was more spacious for growth giving room for bleeding. My mother is VERY anemic and very pale, she was lightheaded and dizzy. She also had a high fever 102 but Tylenol fixed that . She has no appetite and has lost 9 pounds over 6 weeks. Can you tell me if any of this will effect your brain? The blood loss? She is not herself, very beligerant and seems very out of it. She is a very outgoing smart woman who now is a little childlike and I am concerend about that too. She asked for medical attenion initially because she was dizzy and had trouble breathing. She also has asthma which didn't help. They gave her exrays of her lungs and they found nothing. Then she had some pain in in her lower right abdomen and her blood count and blood pressure were dropping. 110/50 at one point. Blood count 13 to 9. Then they gave her an endoscopy and found nothing, then they gave her a CT scan of the abdomen where they said they saw "thickening". Then they ordered the colonoscopy where they found this mass that has yet to be identified. This thickening that was found, can this be the thickening of the cecum wall from an inflammed mass? I have been reading about the appendicts and the cecum and how the 2 are intertwined sometimes. She had her appendicts removed at a young age.. could there be inflammation that was growing at a slow rate all these years? THANK YOU SO MUCH for your feedback. Everything you have told me so far is right on the money and you answered a lot of questions that are very helpful. If you could also help me with these other questions- could this be an inflammatory mass of the cecum, begign tumor and all the other questions, I would be MOST GRATEFUL. I really look forward to your reply, thank you again
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, debwalk!
You are welcome anytime!
Sorry for the delayed post!
I guess you already got answers to some of your questions.

The inflammatory mass can be a diverticulitis, complicated apendicitis, previously undiagnosed Crohn's disease, perforated cecal neoplasm, paracolic abscess of unknown cause.

Exertional dyspnea (difficulty breathing), dizziness, weakness, fatigue, diarrhea, constipation, anorexia, weight loss, vomiting, and other symptoms are signs of intestinal obstruction caused by the cancer mass as it progresses.

Cancer of the cecum is more prevalent in women and occurs more frequently after the fourth decade of life, with a tendency for the incidence to remain high until the age of 75 years or more in both men and women.

Does your mum experience strange odors?
|

replied December 17th, 2011
tumor
i m 29 year old.i m suffering from gastir.i m doing stool 4 time in day i contact many dr. bt they giving me medicen.last 1.5 year.now days my blood is also going frm stool while passing toilet.today i hv done endoscopy dr. hv told ur suffering tumor.so now i doing MRI also.may i knw wht is exactly going on.plz let me knw
|

replied March 19th, 2012
Found Tumors during my colonoscopy screening
I just had an colonoscopy today. My doctor said he found some diverticulitis pockets and a couple of tumors that were to big to remove, so he did a biopsy. My question is, if the biopsy comes back negative for cancer, will I still have to have the tumors removed?
|

replied March 19th, 2012
Found Tumors during my colonoscopy screening
I just had an colonoscopy today. My doctor said he found some diverticulitis pockets and a couple of tumors that were to big to remove, so he did a biopsy. My question is, if the biopsy comes back negative for cancer, will I still have to have the tumors removed?
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
There are benign adenomas and malignant tumors.
Sometimes the tumor is very vascular,that's why
It would have not been taken out during colonoscopy.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.