Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

colon cancer symptoms ?

I first want to say that I have health anxiety and tend to think I have all kinds of things, I am trying to overcome it but it causes alot of sleepless nights. I was pregnant when it started. I am 36 years old with no family history of colon cancer or personal history of cancer. While I was pregnant I started having alternating bouts of diarrhea and then normal then constipation. I started seeing a lot of mucus in the stool, sometimes white sometimes yellow. I then had the baby 4 months ago and after the birth of the baby noticed a lot of bright red bleeding on my stool and it stung a little to have a bm, then it stopped bleeding after a few weeks and I counted it up to hemorrhoids from pregnancy, but the alternating constipation, normal, then diarrhea continues. I also get gassy and there is a lot of mucus. The stools seem to look different too. I am also having abdominal cramps at time on the left side and they sometimes move around. My stomach was hurting bad the other night so I went to the ER. they did blood work, a abdominal cat scan without contrast and a abdominal xray. She said everything was completely normal. My blood levels were fine, the cat scan showed no obstruction, inflammation, kidney stones or diverticulitis. Now here is the question, what is the chance of these being colon cancer? If I had an advanced cancer would they have seen anything on the cat scan or xray or blood work at all? Can any of these tests help me be less worried at all? She said it sounded like IBS and intestinal spasms. I do tend to make more of symptoms then there is but am really losing sleep over this could someone help me out with this. Are these test any indicator? Would ADVANCED cancer shown up in any of these tests? thank you. No one wants to do a colonoscopy on a 36 year old with no family history.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
If there was some suspicious lesion, the CT scan and X-ray of abdomen would detect that.
It sounds like you are experiencing intestine inflammatory disease and hemorrhoids at the same time.
Hemorrhoids can be due to pregnancy, constipation and also diarrhea.
Do you have diarrhea, especially after eating or first thing in the morning?
Do you often get the feeling like you still need to have a bowel movement after you've already had one?
Have you noticed that abdominal pain and cramping go away after having a bowel movement?
|

replied April 15th, 2008
The diarrhea comes and goes, it seems to be a little more in the morning but can be at any time. The pain comes and goes too, it is like a light cramping, mostly on the left side, up under the rib and then moves down to lower left side. Sometimes, but only sometimes, does it feel like my bowels don't empty all the way. SO the cat scan would have shown something? If I had colon cancer would these test show at least something or a need for further tests? I just seem to have all the symptoms of colon cancer. I didn't worry about it because I thought that you only get it over the age of 50 unless you have a family member with it, but then I read this board where there is a bunch of young people with it. Thanks for talking to me.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you experienced bloating and gas, too?
Do you usually have a strong urge to have a bowel movement?
Have you noticed some mucus in your stool?
|

replied April 30th, 2008
Yes, I have a lot of gas and bloating. There is mucus in my stools some of the time, and sometimes there is a lot. I do not see anymore blood in my stools since after the baby was born.
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you noticed that the abdominal pain occur more often in the evenings?
Are you experiencing ups and downs of pain relating to your menstrual cycle?
Do you feel need to pass excess wind?
Do you have complains of feeling sick and indigestion?
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....