Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Cold-like symptoms not disappearing after 1 year

m/17/188 cm/80kg/Austria

I have common cold-like symptoms that simply won't disappear, including a (usually mildly) sore throat, a running nose, and, depending on severity of my state, also headaches, low energy and coughing. I know that this is nothing too special, but the thing is that I have been experiencing these symptoms for over one year now.

It all began last summer, when these symptoms appeared out of nothing. I waited patiently, but symptoms, although not too severe, have not resolved, still. Then in the winter, my condition got worse, and I eventually catched the flu in January. Generally, sometimes I feel a bit better and sometimes a bit worse, but I have not felt 100% heathy, that is, without any of these symptoms, since then.
Also, I observed that during the cold months I always feel so cold. While my colleagues wore sweaters and felt comfortably, I struggled wearing a thick parka. Especially in the morning feel extremely cold. Maybe something metabolism-related?

Until June (when symptoms got worse again) I hit the gym 3 days/week. When my symptoms become worse, I usually take a pause - especially then I notice that I feel worse the next day. But no matter how long the pause, I just won't resolve 100%.
When I felt good, I'd say better than average but, yet again not totally without these symptoms, I wanted to mini-cut before summer. After a few days, I felt awful and even had to stay home from school. After eating normally again I felt better after some days.
Another thing I observed is that progress has stalled a lot last year, although I'm still quite a beginner and try to train scientifically. I would love to go there again, also to do more cardio, but I just don't know whether I should or not. What do you think?

I mostly eat pretty healthily - a lot of fruit/vegetables. Most of the days, I do intermittent fasting because there are many benefits and it makes me feel good. Supplement-wise, I have tried out quite some things trying to get healthy again. I take Vitamin D, K, and C everyday. Plus, I started taking probiotics, zinc, Echinacea and astragalus recently - but nothing really improved my state.

During that period, I have been to several doctors. Absolutely no allergies. ECG - everything perfectly alright. Also had several quite detailed blood checks, nothing special detected. They all don't really have a clue; they think that, while recovering, I catch another cold/another germs. But that doesn't seem really plausible to me, I'm speaking of a period of one year, whereas colds normally take no longer than some days to recover from. And if that was actually the case, I wouldn't understand why my immune system would be that bad.

So, regarding my strange symptoms, I really hope that someone can give me some recommendations. I have already considered doing a 3-4 day fast to reboot my immune system and gene testing. Going to another doctor seems superficial, because all they tell me is that I am young and healthy.. that's it. In fact, I'd say they aren't wrong - but not right, either! Maybe my symptoms are not the worst, but experiencing them over such a long period without knowing what it is and which activities one is able to do is seriously frustrating.
I am extremely grateful for every single piece of advice!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are due to allergy. I would suggest you to consult immunologist to evaluate you.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.