Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Bile Duct Disorders Forum

Codiene cause gallbladder attack ?


had deaseased GB out in Jan have been having minor stomach probs since but not to major.............anyway i started to get sotmach pains after eating, stab pains in shoulders, sternum pain etc.this preogressivley got worse to it was relativley constant but managaebale.......eating helps for few minutes then pain again.........
anyway went to doctor who took blood tests and gave me codeine.........i went home took the codiene and had a major GB like attack but worse!!!!!!!! i was in agony went to eneregnency they did tests bloods etc couldnt find anything..........given dome anisthetic stuff and the pain subsided but still have pain on a dialy basis!!!!!!

after researhine found out about SOD and that blood tests are often normal type111 SOD...and that codiene and morphine based drugs can bring on attacks!!!!!! which cerntainly did for me

so what now?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2016
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. yes any opioids pills are notorious for spasm of sphincter of oddy and can result in such discomfort. I would suggest alternate analgesia or use of some antispasmodics and diet lifestyle modifications like small frequent meals.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bile Duct Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.