Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

codeine nurofen plus addiction advice

ok so i am 21 and i started takeing painkillers when i was 19 i am a chef and had a fall witch started it all. i started with endon 1to 2 tabs at a time then when i could not get them anymore i started taking mersondole 3to6 tabs at a time and just after i turnd 20 i started trying to quit since then i have being taking neurofen plus for the last year i have being takeing a dose of 3to6 up to 30 a day.

and now i am trying desprotly to quit my feonsay dose not no just howbad i am addicted to the pain killers and i am afraid that if she new the full extent she would leave me i have being trying to detox all week and well i just wanted to no what i could do to help i am working 7 days a week for the next 10 weeks so it is realy hard i have manged to get myh dose down to no more then 12 a day however for 2 days now i have not being able to get more the 1 or 2 houres of sleep at a time and i am getting sweets hard polpotations difficalty concentraiting mood swings i have vometed once and blacked out once and i get the most excruseating pain in the lowere left hand side of my back just below my ribcage that is just from reducing my dose.

anyway i just wanted to no is there something i can get over the counter (in australia) that will help with detoxing any help would be apreceated thanks in advance
regards endura
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Beatup
|

replied October 4th, 2009
the link you gave me takes me strate too google that is no help at all Sad
|

replied October 26th, 2009
I don't know if you've gotten any useful answers yet. If you haven't, here are some suggestions. I'm in Canada, so some the drug names may be something else in Australia.

First thing...you absolutely will not be able to fully detox with your current work schedule. In the meantime, see if you can keep the usage down to just maintainance (just enough so you're not sick).

You need to get a few days off. As uncomfortable as it may be I suggest you get to an addiction center (methadone clinic maybe). I am NOT suggesting you begin methadone treatment. However, in my experience, the doctors are helpful in giving what you need to detox.

Medications that help make the withdrawal bearable:

1) Clonazepam. 2 x .5 mg @ bedtime for 5 days (will make you drowsy)
2) Clonidine. 0.1 mg up to 3x per day (will also make you drowsy...and I've never used more than 1 a day)
3) Immodium or some other anti-diarrhea meds (OTC is fine)

Talk to the doctors, of course...but the above meds have helped me a great deal.

You really should consider following up with councilling though too!
|

replied February 7th, 2010
Nurofen Plus addiction
I too am addicted to codiene, starting with Nurofen plus until I had to have half my small bowelss removed due to the strictures the ibuprofen gave me. I told my docter and he put me on straight codiene and to start weening myself off them that way. He's given me too much self control and I take all the tablets that are supposed to last me 4 weeks in the space of 2 weeks so I then have to go back to nurofens to get the codiene kick. I can feel the pain coming back in my abdomen which isn't good.

Get off these evil things as soon as you can, I wish my friend had never introduced them to me in the first place. I was a rower and had an injury to a muscle so she gave me 2 tablets and I felt like i was flying on air, i won my race and that started the ball rolling. After the birth of my 2nd child I had mild post natal depresion, so I took 'NP's' and felt better, instead of going to the Dr's for some antidepressants. now 7 years later I am hooked and I can't get off. Its a nightmare when I go on holiday. I have to plan in advance and stash enough boxes to get me through the 2 week stint which never works out, I am always racing down to the chemist the day after we get home to get a box.

I hate myself for this, my hubby doesn't know a thing apart from the ibuprofen being the cause of my strictures, thats all.

Keep the faith, take control aand think of your kids
Scoobydoo
|

replied September 20th, 2010
I am 31 years old mother of two beautiful children, was taking 32 nurofen at least a day for two years.... was rushed by ambulance to hospital stacki cardic, i almost died had to have 6 blood tranfussions....!!! now not meaning to use scare tactics because i know that horrible feeling when your taking them knowing deep down your gambling with your life...and cannot bear to be how you are when you try stop taking them.... i had to have the shame of telling close family members and my g.p I was addicted to the dam things... had to be assertive with the doctor however to help me save my ownlife...he put me on a mild tranquilizer just two a day to control my nerves..THEY HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC... i went cold turkey cus knew i would abuse the codeine phosphate that was offered to taper me down.... been codeine free now for months, am back at the gym feel STRONGER THAN EVER....you can do it, if I can you can....STAY STRONG GET THE HELP YOU NEED its not easy, but you have to get through each day....xxxx karina
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied May 4th, 2011
OMG there are actually sites with information, we fellow iddicties!!! Very Happy I've been taking these dang things for hmmmm, perhaps 7 years!! it started with a toothache and yes that awesome flying type feeling and I've never stopped. I asked my Dr here in Aus, what I could do to stop taking them...He told me to "just stop" !#$^^@$%@$, needless to say, I haven't bought it up with him again!! I take anything from 30 - 60 tabs a day and I knowwwww I am messing with my life. It is a waste of time (i leave home an hour early before work to hunt for a chemist that doesn't know me!!! ) and the money well, I would have paid off 2 extremely expensive cars, with the amount of have spent on them
Gina
|

replied November 27th, 2011
Too all that have this addiction there is a rainbow at the end of the tunnel
I have been taking NFP for 2 years ended up to be nearly two packsaddles day nearly.
It started of relieving the pain I had but then I liked the feeling basically to numb the day to day
Things and busy schedule it got to the point of taking them just to feel normal which then I knew I had a massive problem especailly with kids u can attach to these very easy.
It's been day 17 for me and through my detox I had to tell my family which was the hardest thing I had to do (admit I had a problem)!!! At the end of the day u will need support and I realised that my family were more willing to help me than send me back to NZ in a Box..
At the end of the day we kid ourselves of what damage we are really doing to ourselves and those around us the new year is arising and its time for a change.
Have faith in the lord and I promise u will get through this, my heart goes out to u all
Thirty years with three kids is way too young to let those pills take me day
Amen
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied December 10th, 2011
hi, ive been taken nerofin plus for nearly 7 years, im 24 years old and took my last 30 tabs on thursday evening, 2 days ago. Im hanging in as best i can but the aches and spasms in my legs are unbearably, can someone please tell me how long it will last and if theres anything i can do to stop the constant ache
|

replied December 26th, 2011
Try to give up
Hi, I've been taking Nurofen Plus for 10 years. I take just over 80 a day. I know a chemist who will give you as many packets as you want at a price of $15AUS for a packet of 30. No questions are asked, just say a number and they are packed discretly in a brown bag. I buy 5 packs a day costing me $75AUS. I struggle with money every pay and my wife has now left me. I still take the buggers but the feeling is too great. It will kill me one day but having access to as many packets as I want without questions is too attracting. I hope I will quit one day, but now have lost my wife, house, car and only have a handful of friends left. If you have the will, give up or you will surely end up like me.
|

replied December 26th, 2011
Try to give up
Hi, I've been taking Nurofen Plus for 10 years. I take just over 80 a day. I know a chemist who will give you as many packets as you want at a price of $15AUS for a packet of 30. No questions are asked, just say a number and they are packed discretly in a brown bag. I buy 5 packs a day costing me $75AUS. I struggle with money every pay and my wife has now left me. I still take the buggers but the feeling is too great. It will kill me one day but having access to as many packets as I want without questions is too attracting. I hope I will quit one day, but now have lost my wife, house, car and only have a handful of friends left. If you have the will, give up or you will surely end up like me.
|

replied January 9th, 2012
My friend 34 yrs old is today dying from nurofen addiction. All her organs have shut down and she is in a coma. We have all tried for the last two years to help her but to no avail. she has an eleven yr old and a seven yr old. This is what will happen to you all if you dont stop. Your bodies cannot take the abuse. She has been taking them for many years and has caused much pain to her family. for Gods sake, get help! Stop taking them!!!!
|

replied February 7th, 2012
Making N+ Safer
To those of you on this forum who are taking large numbers of N+ or similar each day - you are unneccesarily killing yourselves. Yes; Codeine is a horribly addictive drug but it is most likely the Ibuprofen that will damage your organs. SO - Try Googling CWE or cold water extraction! Ibuprofen, like Aspirin or Paracetemol (also known as APAP or Acetaminophen outside the UK) is only soluble in WARM or HOT water, not cold. It is VERY easy to extract a large percentage of the Ibuprofen, paracetemol or aspirin from these pills. All you do is dissolve them in 50 degree C water, chill the water to just above freezing point, let the Ibu and binders settle out, then put the lot through a couple of coffee filters. You'll get a slightly cloudy, bitter solution that contains most of the Codeine but only a little Ibu - The secret is to only use a little water, 100 - 150mls. It is only possible to actually dissolve a gram or so of Ibu in that much water but ALL the Codine will dissolve. This sounds complex but really a child could do it; it's easier than making a cake! Once you can extract the Codeine in a purer form, you can taper your dose and get off the N+ or similar in relative safety.. Or continue using without getting ulcers etc. Don't take my word for this, look up cold water extraction and you'll see that many, many people use it as a harm reduction measure. Just because you're an addict it does not mean that you have to poison yourself or punish yourself to death. Get the Ibu out, use cleaner Codeine and taper yourself off the stuff - I did and I'm fine now. Another option is to go to the doctor and get yourself put on Subutex or Methadone. Whatever you do, STOP taking overdoses of Ibu or other painkillers because it is very bad for you indeed.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Hi, I don't know if anyone will see this or view it, but I really could do with some help.
I no way have as bad an addiction as some people, as I'm only taking about 6-10 a day (for about six years), but I am clearly addicted as I cannot seem to stop and am so dependant on them. I nearly lose it when I know there's none in the house.
My personality is so different since I started taking them and I'm so depressed, angry, irritable and unwell all the time and I think its because of this addiction. I need some help to quit. Some advice would be great.
|

replied July 20th, 2012
Hi Bobbysian23,
I too am addicted to NP taking 8-10 tablets a day for about the last 5 years. I am very afraid of what I am doing to my body but say to myself "tomorrow I will stop".
Of course tomorrow never comes because I need that 4-hourly NP fix. I think I have forgotten what it feels like to just be me. The NP makes me feel calm and gives me a sense of well-being. Initially taken to help combat migraines, I always seemed had a slight headache all day long, so thought take NP in case this turns into a migraine. My body had learned to have headaches.
I went to a GP who said cut down - take one a day, then one every second day etc. I couldn't stick to this. 8 months later I have decided to go cold turkey. I am determined to get off them, I want to feel like me again .This is the third day without NP. Although I wasn't taking many I am having withdrawl symptoms.
I am agitated, my mood is low, I have aches and pains, shakiness and insomnia. Surprisingly I don't have any headaches.
I'm determined to stick to being NP free. I want to feel what it would be like to be the real me. I think the NP made me feel dull minded and vague and I would hate to think what I have done to my insides.
I'm hoping these slight withdrawls will not last too many more days.
I encourage you to stop taking them. When I feel like NP I drink water or do something to take my mind off it.
Good luck!!
|

replied July 4th, 2013
Coming off Codeine
I just thought I would offer my perspective.

I've been reducing my dose over the past 3 weeks and this last week has been the hardest. Not been sleeping, my back hurts also my mood is all over the place.

Its been really tough but I am now at 36 hours without having codeine and it feels AMAZING! I have been on this stuff for 5 years.

We all have our reasons for going on and staying on it and it can be a really tough thing to face to say that not only a) I have a problem but b) how do I come off it.

I have tried maybe 6 or 7 times to come off. What worked was coming out of a relationship (not to blame for the addiction) and that feeling of needing to start fresh. So maybe it might be worth thinking about other things you want to change in your life, set that goal of wanting to start fresh.

For those of you who are thinking about it all I can suggest is take some annual leave when you want to come off it. I think having the stress of work and trying to come off it was just way too hard. I actually wrote out a schedule/chart to coming of it, I would mark off each day as I reduced my dose. It seems silly but it helps.

My other suggestion, do a butt load of exercise while you do it! Get a personal trainer and just go nuts at the gym. It will tire you out, make you eat better and the exhaustion will help distract from that awful back pain you get when you come off codeine.

"Tears will get you sympathy, sweat will get you results.

Good luck!
|
Users who thank Andrew1987 for this post: CarolineEF 

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Hi Andrew1987...Great post...Good luck....Take care...

Caroline...
|

replied August 20th, 2013
Wow...

So many of us out there. I started taking nurofen plus casually, after I had 'kicked' my diamorphine habit. I say kicked, but really in NZ the only person I could get it from disappeared overnight and I was left stranded. I started taking 4 nurofen plus at a time for bad headaches, then graduated to 6, 8 12...etc etc...until I ended up on upwards or60 per serve. Don't get me wrong, I was sick as a dog a lot, but in no way was this different to the effects of shooting up diamorph, and in actuality, the high was the same, THUD as the codeine hit the system. I'm sure this is a familiar story to you, some of you, so I won't go on too much...
I was also using valium (diazepam), speed, diet pills, acid, cocaine, E, weed and ice on the side, though I dabbled very seriously with ice for a couple of years. Take 48 N+ to normalise in the morning, puff the pipe, smoke some weed and pass the day away with alcohol and other nonsense, then, as I was usually seriously high until at least 3 or 4am I'd take some more N+, no less that 48 in the wee small hours, close my eyes to 'rest' and get up and do it all again. Lost many jobs, spent many thousands of dollars, neglected my health, dental and person hygiene fell by the wayside.
Then we moved to Australia, and suddenly the N+ was harder to buy, they made me give ID to buy it, so I would range further and further afield to avoid becoming too 'regular' anywhere. More and more I mixed with alcohol, until I was finally hospitalised with a perforated ulcer and internal bleeding. Serious time. Blood transfusions, a week in hospital... but I got out and didn't stop. 2 years later, back I went, in for tests etc, and a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) which SUCKED by the way! Not enough for THIS addict. I was hospitalised a 3rd time earlier this year, by which time I was 35, and now have been taking the N+ for over 15 years.
Accidents followed me around, I thought, 9 broken bones in 4 years and a bulging disc at L5-S1, with massive sciatic pain...but I was responsible for this, as I would read while wasted and fall asleep with my head at a downward facing angle, all but passed out. My husband stuck with me through all of this, I was truly blessed to have such a guardian angel.
About 6 weeks ago I went to another doctor, one I'd seen from time to time who was familiar with my back issues, and he prescribed me baclofen, a CNS depressant. With clear warning on the label about alcohol and drowsiness. But hey, that's what my valium label said too! Woo-hoo, I thought. Mistakenly. Totally different drug. I got pissed after taking 4 instead of the 2, on top of 30 N+, and that night, as I woke and went to the toilet, I didn't make it in time. I THOUGHT I slipped on the floor, but it was the baclofen, I couldn't stand properly, I ended up with a broken front tooth, a loose front tooth, a bashed nose, head and body and a torn tendon and broken bone in my foot. Up I went, down I went, again and again. Even through the haze it HURT like hell.
Bottom line, I was in toilet the next morning when my husband left for work and again when he came home, but I had no feeling, I couldn't pee! After a few hours of slurred reassurances he called an ambulance.
That was the beginning of what was at first a nightmare, then torture and finally acceptance as I realised I wasn't allowed to leave. I tried, believe me, and security hauled me back in. Then I tried again, and my husband blocked my way out with his strong person. I spent the first week in a medical/psychological ward under observation, throwing up and feeling so awake and terrible, then was moved down to a locked mental health ward, AOA- acute observation area. OMG what a living nightmare. I couldn't listen to my ipod, they'd screw with my music and when I tried to retreat into a book they'd get loud and throw phrases like ataxic, febrile contact, established contact, advantage! Mental torture as I confronted all the terrible things I had done to myself, to others, my compulsive lying, loose behaviour...everything. No sleep for 3 weeks, an hour here, half an hour there. I was worn out, but before I knew it, I'd been straight 20 days!

Coming off codeine has been a dreadfully difficult experience, but one that despite the hardships, I am so grateful for. My wonderful husband has been there every step of the way, and now I am 36 days clean and sober and living in a state of happy acceptance. I still cringe when I think of my past behaviour, but I have been honest with my husband every step of the way and haven't lied to him for weeks. Or anybody for that matter!

Self respect CAN be regained, and with self respect comes hope for a better future.

If I can do it after years and years of terrible abuse, YOU can do it too. I would definitely recommend a rehab or detoxification centre if you can. It is too hard to fight the demons alone, so IF you do this thing at home, make sure that you surrender your keys, money, phone, EVERYTHING to someone you can trust. Someone who will turn a deaf ear to the begging when the pain and the awful non-stop runs become too much to handle. And it will if you're as bad as I was. I tried over and over to "cut down" or get on a lower dose...invariably I went back to full blown usage.

With all the earnestness I can I urge you to see your GP (or find an understanding one) and be completely honest with them. They are there to help. Don't blow your health and future for an illusion of calm.

Every journey begins with just one step. Just go for it!

No looking back,
goldie_loxx
|

replied November 13th, 2014
Experienced User
i think so you have need some doctor help.
|

replied May 4th, 2015
Here's my experience. I take pain meds for my back.

If you take say 10 pills a day. Cut that in half. 5 pills a day for 2 to 3 days. Then cut that in half again. 2 and 1/2 pills a day for 2 to 3 days. Then 1 pill a day for 2 to 3 days. Than a half pill a day for 2 to 3 days. Then test the waters and see how it feels with no pill, if it bothers you do a half or quarter pill. This has worked great every time. I've had a 20+ pill a day addiction and stopped it several times.
You can play with the amount of days on the same amount. You will tell if you are getting sick just add the pill back in again. I'm not sure why this method works, but it does, and I don't get sick at all. I assume its because it allows our bodies to get rid of the toxins slowly, and since it messes with chemicals in the brain, it also allows those to naturally build back up. Remember your body has stopped making certain chemicals because its getting them from outside. That's why if you just stop you get really sick until your body starts making them again.

I have also gone cold turkey over 5 times. Each time I got extremely sick, had night sweats, my legs hurt etc. I sweat so bad that I had to sleep on the floor with several towels. The longest one lasted 2 weeks and a half, but after that I felt great. Sometimes you just have to tough it out if you made a mistake and can't get anymore.

Try it! Hope it helps.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....