User Profile
Ihave cmt1a (Charcot Marie Tooth) and am a smoker. Silly I know but the addiction is quite strong. I try to give up smoking and fail. We also have a very strong family of heart attacks with 5 immediate family members experiencing heart attacks in their early 40s. I have to give up smoking!!!

I would like to know if the drug Champix has any effect that would impact on my CMT. I also take choltestrol medication (rosuvastatin calcium 10.4 mg). Are you aware of what other people with CMT have used to support them in their efforts to quit?

The CMT net website tells of some medications to avoid but hasn't been updated since 1997 and I don't have a medical background and have very limited knowledge of medication.

Kind regards
mccellia

Can you tell me if Champix (varenicline)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2009
Neurological Disorders Answer A7513
Hi
Welcome to the forum!
With CMT1a (Charcot Marie Tooth) disease and a strong family of heart disease, it is not advisable to take Champix, at least not take it without medical supervision. Though it is not known to affect the nervous system much, it can increase the blood pressure and precipitate a heart attack. Also it causes severe emotional disturbances and dizziness making it difficult for a person to carry on his daily activities. So without a doctor’s supervision take Champix is an ABOSOLUTE NO.
You can talk to a doctor regarding this and probably try some alternative method to quit smoking. A strong desire to quit smoking and determination to make it a success is required. You can enroll into a support program too. Discuss the various options with your doctor and start quitting under supervision. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.