Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Pharmaceuticals Forum

Clonazepam ( Klonopin ) usage and withdrawal

User Profile
i am making this post because i'm mad as hell and thought you should be warned. i am a late stage four non hodgkins lymphoma patient and have been out of chemo (clear so far ) for 4 years. i have also been on benzos for 4 years. i didn't ask for them but complained of panic attacks that caused extreme difficulty breathing and was put on 1.5 mg of xanax daily. it worked but i didn't know at what cost. when i moved to another town the docs there switched me to .5 mg clonazepam twice a day. it also worked and i have been taking it for 2 years. so total 4 years on benzos right? well i moved again and because of politics in my state my new doc gave me one script for clonazepam and told me i had to go to a pain management clinic to get more. thanks for the clue doc. the political situation was caused by rush limbaugh by the way. next i had to go cross country for a family problem and was gone for 6 mos. and since i was out-of-network i could not get a doc out there. thankfully due to the tip from the last doc i didn't take all my pills as prescribed but skipped one every day and when i was cross country i split them and only took a half a day (.25 mg) i also had saved some from previous scripts. i had some bad days but didn't realize it was the pam (or pin) as i have had many bad days for alot of reasons. by the time i got back home i was almost out and needed a new doc right away for these meds and others that i take. i was NOT doctor shopping and went to the first doc that would see me. i already knew my old docs opinion (based on politics) and needed to be referred to a pain management center by my primary doc anyway. i fully expected to be refered but my new doc wrote a 1 mo script and sent me on my way but when i called to get it refilled was told i would have to see a shrink to get refilled. now as far as this doc knew i was out but i had still been only taking one pill (.5mg) a day so i had some left which i immedately started breaking in half again and only took .25mg a day. i hadn't been feeling well for awhile anyway and with this reduction i started getting sick after about 2 days. on the fourth day i felt so bad i had to go to the ER. i thought i was having a-fib. they told me it was benign positional vertigo. below is a list of side effects from benzo WD and i have about half of them.
SOME OF THESE WILL KILL YOU. abdominal and muscle cramps, behavior disorders, convulsions, depressed feeling, hallucinations, restlessness, sleeping difficulties, tremors, Klonopin can also cause aggressive behavior, agitation, anxiety, excitability, hostility, irritability, nervousness, nightmares, sleep disturbances, and vivid dreams, abdominal pain/discomfort, abnormal hunger, acne, aggressive reaction, anxiety, apathy, asthma attack, bleeding from the skin, blood clots, bronchitis, burning sensation, changes in appetite, changes in sex drive, confusion, coughing, difficulty breathing, dizziness when standing, ear problems, emotional changeability, excessive dreaming, excitement, fever, flushing, fluttery or throbbing heartbeat, frequent bowel movements, gas, general feeling of illness, gout, hair loss, hemorrhoids, hoarseness, increased salivation, indigestion, infections, inflamed stomach and intestines, lack of attention, lack of sensation, leg cramps, loss of taste, male sexual problems, migraine, motion sickness, muscle pain/cramps, nightmares, nosebleed, over-activity, pain (anywhere in the body), paralysis, pneumonia, shivering, skin problems, sleep problems, sneezing, sore throat, swelling with fluid retention, swollen knees, thick tongue, thirst, tingling/pins and needles, tooth problems, tremor, twitching, upset stomach, urinary problems, vertigo, vision problems, weight gain or loss, yawning
chemo was a picnic compared to how i felt although i do feel a little better now. so i'm mad that doctors don't seem to have a problem getting you hooked but all of a sudden have an ethical problem when you are in trouble. i'm mad that politicians are playing doctor and put anyone using controlled substances under one tent. my warning to you is DON'T USE BENZOS. they don't cure anything and should only be used short term! under a week at most. if your doc prescribes them for any more time you need another doctor and if you are already on them make a little stash for that time when they all of a sudden can't prescribe them anymore. in my case i couldn't get an appointment with a shrink for three weeks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest31449
|

replied May 11th, 2012
Experienced User
Hi jax281, wow, I never knew all of these side effects, and I appreciate your knowledge and concern for others. I'm on Xanax now, and it does help at times, and sometimes it takes a while. I do plan on getting off of them due to the new medication I'm on for bipolar disorder also. These drugs can also be very addicting and I've seen what they do if not took right. Thanks again for the post, and I'm sorry for your illness. God bless, and take care!
|
Did you find this post helpful?