Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Clogged ears and dizziness

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
For the past 4 months I have had clogged ears and dizziness. I also get pressure in my head occasionally. Another symptom that accompanies this is tingling in my hands and feet.
I have been to the doctor about this 3 times. The first 2 times they said it was allergies, meds didn't help. Then, it was vertigo. Meclizine did nothing but knock me out. My doc seems to think it is anxiety. Could anxiety cause clogged ears and head pressure? I am very frustrated at this point.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A15682
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the clogged ears for the past 4 months along with dizzy feeling.
I would definitely suggest visiting an ENT to check out your ear as thed efinitive diagnosis is not possible online. Blocked ears can have numerous causes, such as impacted ear wax, a disorder of the eustachean tubes (the canals that connect the ear and throat), or infections/disorders of the middle or inner ears. It's especially interesting that you mentioned getting dizzy, as this would seem to indicate some kind of vestibular issue involving your middle or inner ear. Both the middle and inner ears contain systems that regulate your body's balance, as well as hearing. Even the most minor disruption in that area can cause dizziness, blocked ears, and hearing loss.
The ENT is a good place to start. Depending on what s/he finds, you may be referred to a neurologist or oto-neurologist for further testing or treatment.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.