For nearly 2 weeks already,whenever i yawn,there is a clicking sound coming from my mouth.There is no other pain or anything else wrong with my mouth like tenderness or pain while eating etc.

Basically,my mouth feels like as if the muscles in it are tensed up completely and when i open my mouth after awhile to eat for example,the first time it feels heavy when i open it and after that its ok.I went to my family doc of 30 years in the family and he said it was probably muscles spasms.

But i tend to get worried very fast as i suffer from hypochondria as well. Another way i can relate the discomfort is like how your hands get tired after writing for a long time and when you press in on your fingers,there is a crunching sound,thats the case for me,thats how my mouth feels.I am a 20 year old male and a smoker.

Anybody can advice on what is happening?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 9th, 2009
TMJ
I have that too, it's TMJ. There are ways to fix it.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
Clicking when Yawning
Hi.
TMJ clicks are very common indeed.
Your dentist may be right when he says it's muscle spasm.
Some clicks are audible only to the patient, while others can be heard across the room!
If you are "highly strung" this can make things worse, but the thing to remember is that a clicking TMJ won't harm you in any way - it's just a sign that your TMJ (jaw joint) isn't working as smoothly as it could. This is often due to clenching your teeth when asleep & often during the day. Keep an eye on this as most patients don't realise they are doing it.
Wearing a soft night guard usually does the trick, so have a word with your dentist again.

Best wishes,

Charlie
|
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....