Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Recovery & Post-Op Forum

Clicking knee sounds after acl surgery (Page 1)

Hi I'm 18 years old. I had acl surgery a little more than a year back. Everything went smoothly after that. I did everything I should have in physiotherapy and my leg muscles are back like they were before . But I have this weird clicking sound in my knee when I straighten it out completely.I feel like something inside is either moving when it's not supposed to or something is being blocked but I have to use a little force to completely straighten out my leg and that that's when the knocking or clicking sounds occur. My physiotherapist cannot make sense of it and keeps telling me that I need to work on strengthening my muscles. Everywhere else I asked people told me to leave it alone and it will go away but it hasn't and I'm really worried and annoyed now because I cannot play till i sort this out. Could someone please tell me what to do about it? And if exercising is the solution then could you please also tell me excactly what muscles to work on?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Allycat244
|

replied August 6th, 2013
Same clicking issue
hey, i'm just wondering if you figured out what the issue is. I had my ACL op in May 2012 and i have the same clicking sound when i straighten my knee. I was worried it might be loose still.
|

replied August 7th, 2013
Umm no I didn't find anything yet. Searched all over and posted this question on every possible forum. But I did go and see a doctor and he said that I need an MRI done to figure out what happened and told me to see my surgeon again. I'll revert back when I know more
|

replied August 25th, 2013
Hey I went to my surgeon and turns out that everything's great. Got an X-ray done and he made me do a few exercises. He said that my muscle strength is excellent. But he said that I'm a tall guy and my leg doesn't have the right amount of fat in it which is giving rise to that snapping sound. It's mainly because of two muscles or tendons slipping over each other as there is not much fat in between. He said I can resume all activities and there's nothing I can do about the fat buildup except sit and wait.
Hope that helps you as well Smile
|

replied August 29th, 2013
I have something similar too!

I get a deep knocking/clicking sound as i completely straighten my leg into hyperextension with all my weight on it, and then let my knee bend forward out of hyperextension. (clicks sometimes on the way to hyperextension, and almost always going out of hyperextension)

Is this what either of you were having? (no pain but very irritating feeling)??

i'm 19 had acl surgery 10 months ago using hamstring graft.

Woudl greatly appreciate a reply from anyone Smile
|

replied August 30th, 2013
Hey Smile yeah that is exactly what I was having and my surgeon said its a very common thing. It's because of less fat in the leg. Your muscles and tendons are rubbing over each other which gives that snapping sound. He said there's nothing to worry about and nothing to do about it. Give it some time and the fat will start building up and you'll lose the snapping sound. Till then you can resume to usual activities.
But this is what he told me after looking at my X-ray. Im pretty sure that you have the same thing but I would still suggest you to visit your surgeon once about it. And revert back when you do
Good luck Smile
|

replied September 13th, 2013
Hey, Thanks for the reply Very Happy do you know exactly what fat inside the leg is called? i tried looking it up but not having much luck.

good luck to you too, friend
|

replied December 10th, 2013
cant bend or straighten my knee completly after acl surgery
hey i had my acl surgery using the hamstring graft 2 months ago i did not do any physio the first month but for the past one month iv been doing a lot of physio but i am unable to completly straighten my knee or bend it.. i can bend it for about 110 degree i am very worried about my recovery process. does everyone have the same problem or am i just too paranoid???
|

replied March 21st, 2014
The first 2 weeks are crucial in the recover process and you should focus on straightening your leg almost straight away. If you have left it for a whole month you will find it very difficult to straighten your leg and you will have to work very hard now to achieve this. Did your Surgeon not stress the importance of this?

I did all the rehab exactly as I was told and returned to a light football training session last night 5 months after the operation because I was told I was ready. This morning my knee is cracking and crunching like hell and I underestimated the psychological impact the injury would have on me. I did not feel confident at all but hopefully this will improve over time. It feels so strange like my leg is not my own but like the other posts I have this clicking when I straighten my leg. Hopefully it is just the tendons rubbing over each other but I will probably go see the physio again.
|

replied June 27th, 2014
I was wondering about this too, I get similar sounds in both my knees. My left knee (been ACL operated on almost two years ago) has sort of crackling higher sounds when it is bent and straightened, and my right knee (no surgery or anything) has lower knocking sounds. Sure this is normal guys?
|

replied July 25th, 2014
You are a life safer, I have simmilar problem and I am really worry about it. I am in my third month of therepy and doing everything they told to do. My question is, can you completley and confiedintly depond in your leg after all these? Pls tell us more about you expereince of getting back to play normally.

Note, am inernatinal, so pls excuse my language
|

replied August 25th, 2014
Hi everyone just wanted some advice on a knee problem which I have had now for a while. I am a young male at 21 years of age. I was operated on august 2011 and had an acl reconstruction. After the op I attended physio and concentrated on attempting to get the muscle back in my knee then I suddenly gave up after a month. 3 months after my op I went to work abroad not fully healed from my op. I worked abroad for 4 months and returned and got another job. Its only been the start of this year 2014 i have started going to the gym and working on getting the muscle back in my leg. However at this current time I have a lump of fluid that floats around my knee all the time causing me discomfort, and the knee joint is constantly clicking. I'm worried whether to go back to work because I do manual work always moving on the knee. My knee gives way most of the time so I wear a knee brace to stop preventing it. I have been taking naproxen for over 2 months now and I am always resting my leg. I have gave up gym for a while until its better and my knee is at its worst. I work at a big company and I am on there books. Do not want to get made redundant if I tell them about my knee problem. Could someone give me some advice please ? like techniques or medication or to use hot or cold on the knee ?

Thanks

Nathan W
|

replied December 23rd, 2014
ACL reconstruction recovery- Knee snapping sound
Hi... just to share that, I had my knee ACL reconstruction done in July 2014. It's been 5months and I am able to jog slowly on treadmill (5-7kph). Will feel some pain in the joint overnight but will go off the next day. Not able to fully bend my knee. Only can do it (heel touching but)after warming up for 20min or so or gradually over the gym period. But it will reset in the morning when I wake up. When I travel to work on a bus seated, knee joint will jam when I stand up and walk. Same thing in the office/restaurant or anywhere. Tried squatting but still that limited range is there. I think the first 6weeks is crucial for knee bending. Better take pain killer and bent it. It is very difficult now. I started hearing snaps in the morning or while standing up from seated positions in my 4th to 5th months. Last session with physiotherapist was Return to Sports Program. It's really make me gain confidence for thinks like how to jump, walk and etc. But it was a exhausting session. But the therapist are really putting in 110% in helping their patients. Get some energy booster and go for it. Keep stretching in between. I have a lower back problem so I am not able to do all activities easily (e.g. dead lift or anything weight bearing). Also my hamstrings are not so good on the operated side and I think it's because of my tilted pelvis. Going down stairs is still scary to me. I tried to morning exercise before going to work. I think it helps. But I think it's better to do a full 1 set in the morning and evening. I was painful for me after I do it in the morning thus I skipped that night. Guess I need to try again. And Ya. doing three times a day exercise during first 6weeks really makes a difference from twice or once. My recommendation is try to do 3. Of course don't do if it's painful and seek doc advice. I hope to recover faster. Good luck to you! For your cases, the surgeon able to check and advise accurately.
|

replied February 18th, 2015
I had surgery very recently and am having the exact same issue every time I straighten and if I'm sitting down when I stand up it pops it scared me until now glad to know that its a common thing hope you all are healing well I had surgery in December and am jogging already way ahead of schedule good luck
|

replied February 18th, 2015
I had surgery very recently and am having the exact same issue every time I straighten and if I'm sitting down when I stand up it pops it scared me until now glad to know that its a common thing hope you all are healing well I had surgery in December and am jogging already way ahead of schedule good luck
|

replied March 27th, 2015
Hey just had my second ACL repair last December and I'm having the same clicking on the back or middle part of my knee when extended. Did ya'll have a little swelling or puffiness on the back of the knee as well?
|

replied March 27th, 2015
Hey just had my second ACL repair last December and I'm having the same clicking on the back or middle part of my knee when extended. Did ya'll have a little swelling or puffiness on the back of the knee as well?
|

replied June 29th, 2015
hey guys, im a student studying medicine in india and i have been seeing all the posts and queries that some of you have and i will try to answer as many queries as i can. So my case is rare and pretty scary if you come to think of it. I have torn both my ACLs, thats right, both of them a year apart. my first injury really bought me down, it was my weaker leg so the atrophy (loss of muscle mass basically) was severe. Thankfully i had an internationally recognised doctor and physiotherapist who were working with me to help me play again. i worked out initially but after 5 months when i started playing again i had stopped my trips to the gym. This is pretty natural for those of you who dont usually go to the gym or workout but have to after and ACL injury, but THIS WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I MADE. Now i started playing and i picked up pretty good and soon i was playing for my university, wasnt a great run though but we reached the semi finals for the first time in forever so thats a plus. BUt because my left leg was still lagging in terms of muscular strength, the right leg did most of the bearing and a year after surgery i tore my right ACL in practice. I was really down but this injury made me think of all the things that i hadnt been doing right. Im in rehab right now and have had the right knee operated 3 months ago, things seem alright and i hope to be able to play again and be better than i ever was. Now a few things that i feel i should point out after reading the posts are what are your priorities when you are rehabilitating the knee, what possible problems you may face and how to go about them.
Priorities :-
1) Range of motion or bending - this is the first and the major obstacle for those who tear their ACL, beacuse post op precautions stop you from bearing too much weight on your leg the muslces undergo two changes, one they atrophy or you start to lose the muscle mass and two they enter a sort of partial state of contraction. this is what stops you from bending that knee, so whenever your physio gives you the green signal to start bending the knee, make sure within about a month to 1.5 months you have full range of motion relative to your healthy leg
2)muscle build up :- once you have your knee moving the way it should its time to build up the lost strength. one important thing to keep in mind is that its not how heavy or how hard you go in the gym, its how you do your exercise that counts. Make sure your technique is spot on because only then will the exercise will give positive results. Always consult your physio about the technique or watch videos on youtube and get the technique right. what is also important is that you try not to increase your weight while doing the exercise too soon. remember your one leg is weaker than the other so if you go heavy on the weights and your weaker leg isnt strong enough to bear it, the brain will tend to have your stronger leg bear the weight and the exercises wont be fruitful, so start off light and stick to the light weight until you can feel the the leg is comfortable and strong enough to go heavier.
3)endurance :- once your therapist feels you're good to start jogging, you do the most obvious thing and start jogging, again like with the weights, start off slow, dont try to run from day one, start off slow, make sure you arent too wobbly when you jog, if you are then slow down till you get it right.
|

replied February 28th, 2016
ACL reconstruction surgery
Hello All,
It was nice to read everyone’s reply. I too underwent right ACL reconstruction surgery and they used a graft of my hamstring and attached it with dissolving screws. Now everything went right with the surgery, however the anesthetist who did a femoral nerve block gave the injection very close to the femoral nerve due to which I had problems lifting my foot off the ground initially. I could do foot movements and toe movement, but my foot remained stuck to the ground. I got operated end of October 2015 and I was finally able to move my foot only by first week of December 2015 (but it was a struggle). The bending of the knee is perfectly fine, it is infact hardly a few inches apart from the left leg. But I still have weak thigh muscles and not enough strength in my right leg. I feel the clicks in my knee and feel as though my knee gets locked and I need to straighten it. Now I can move my leg easily and lift it with 2KG weight (ofcourse its an effort even now) but its recovered sooner than expected thankfully. Is all this normal? Also, how long will it take for my leg to recover from the femoral nerve block?
|

replied March 23rd, 2016
And to this day, people are still having knee cracking problems.

My knee has been cracking more and more.

My knee started cracking when I straightened my knee after bending it and it just cracked yea.

Now when I do it, about 2 months later, the cracking has increased and is now heard. I can and others can hear my knee cracking a million times when I do it.

11 months our of recovery. What can I do?
|

replied March 28th, 2016
Hey I'm 19 years old and just had and ACL and meniscus reconstruction on Feb 10th its been close the 7 weeks no and I'm just starting to put weight on it because the meniscus was torn in half and moved to the front of my knee, but what I'm on here for is that when my knee comes from 90 to full extention locked, on the last couple of degrees it has a popping feeling I can feel with my hands on my knee I can't hear it only feel it, its a deep popping noise that happens about 2-3 times on the way out to lock, I've started Physio last week and don't know if its too early for weight bearing??? Can't anyone relate? Just trying to get back to full health an start racing again.
|