Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Clear discharge and brown spotting

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
.well heres the deal... i had my friend in january on time and normal. this month(feb) i saw a slimy clear stringy discharge 2 days before i was due....and only brown spotting on the 2nd and 4th days of what should be my cycle... i took 2 hpt and both are negative so i inserted my ring when i was supposed tooo but i dont know..... anyone have an

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2010
Sexual Health - Women Answer A10503
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. First of all you need to get a serum HCG test done to completely rule out any pregnancy before using any nuva ring. Other causes of such irregularity in periods can be stress, cholesterol, hormonal imbalance, chain smoking or dramatic changes in your life style.

Other causes include medical conditions like PCOS and fibroid uterus. PCOS is diagnosed by blood tests like blood insulin levels, serum testosterone and androgen levels and ultrasound. Fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus. They are diagnosed by ultrasound lower abdomen or CT abdomen.

If this was the first episode of irregularity in the periods, then wait for the coming cycle and try lifestyle modification by reducing stress and decreasing cholesterol levels. But if the repeat happens, then please consult a gynecologist and get yourself thoroughly examined to diagnose the cause of irregular periods and start with the treatment. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.