Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Medical Marijuana Debate Forum

Cigarettes vs. Marijuana (Page 1)

User Profile
Ok, I've been reading here and just wanted to add my impute.

First off I would like to say that I don't do any type of drug (unless you include the occasional Tylenol). I know lots of people that smoke cigarettes, and plenty of people that smoke pot. I personally find absolutely nothing wrong with these, unless they are blowing the smoke in my face.

IMO, the only difference between tobacco and marijuana is that tobacco only has ill effects. I've yet to hear a story where a cigarette helped with a headache, etc. Marijuana is taken the same way as a cigarette/tobacco (rolled, pipe, hookah/bong) so I find it no different. Every other drug (that I can think of) is taken a completely different way, or at least doesn't have the diversity of all three ways.

The reason I believe Marijuana is illegal while tobacco continues to be legal, is that marijuana is easier to grow than tobacco. That means, if they legalize it entirely (aka anyone can have it), then instead of buying it, people can just grow it and not get taxed. Basically it all boils down to money (doesn't it always?) and how if the rich can't take money from the poor, they won't let it happen.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Lilly Ivy
|
Users who thank Lilly Ivy for this post: homerx  NightStar 

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
I agree 100%. Thank you.
P.S. you can also cook MJ and eat it or boil it and drink it in tea or whatever...
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Just adds to my point on the adversity of it. Laughing
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Lilly Ivy for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Right On! And we don't even know all of its healing properties because the government doesn't want to study it...how dumb is that??? It could be a cure or a huge help for many other things but there is this stigma about it that is ridiculous... Rolling Eyes One day... peace
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 16th, 2008
Experienced User
I smoke it, and it helps relieve stress, I also smoke cigs as well. I know the cigs are bad, and I am trying to quit the cigs but keep the weed. I use it every day. It should be legal.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
It should be legal...alcohol is and it isn't very good for you if you over do it ....and I am with you...trying to cut out the cigs.I am down to about 5 cigs a day so I am getting there...cheers!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 25th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
The reason it is illegal is that it can cause the user to think, they dont want the population to think.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Gu£st for this post: homerx  Lilly Ivy 

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Thats a very interesting point and I think you are right!!!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Gu£st wrote:
The reason it is illegal is that it can cause the user to think, they dont want the population to think.


You made me spill my drink! Laughing SO true!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 26th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
The fact that alcohol is legal, dispite its more harmful than cannabis, causes more fights than cannabis makes me wonder why alcohol is legal at all. What is the benefit of alcohol to those in power.

Well if a man has problems is it easier to solve those problems, or give him something so he can forget about them.

I am pro cannabis, after all if it were not for cannabis, i would never have become a christian... try reading the bible and thinking about it stoned... or watch some Christian movies like "jesus of nazareth" and "A.D" - it will blow your mind.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Gu£st for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Gu£st wrote:
The fact that alcohol is legal, dispite its more harmful than cannabis, causes more fights than cannabis makes me wonder why alcohol is legal at all. What is the benefit of alcohol to those in power.

Well if a man has problems is it easier to solve those problems, or give him something so he can forget about them.

I am pro cannabis, after all if it were not for cannabis, i would never have become a christian... try reading the bible and thinking about it stoned... or watch some Christian movies like "jesus of nazareth" and "A.D" - it will blow your mind.
Amazing that you say that...I did watch "Jesus of Nazareth" on MJ and it DID blow my mind and open my eyes..and yep, alcohol has very limited attributes. A little wine is fine but who just has a glass of wine or one cocktail? Not many..most over indulge and many of those are the same ones that bash MJ users...go figure...its also the drunken masses that hop in the car where as most MJ users I know want to stay home, watch a good movie and munch and relax where as a lot of people who indulge in alcohol have a few at home and decide to go out and drive and party in public..it is a reverse culture,the MJ users and the alcohol users. I will check out "A.D."...the title alone is intriguing.
P.S. Glad we were able to let our differences go and be civil again... tiphat it isn't always EZ to agree to disagree and I hope you have done that..I have.
Peace and Love,
Homer rainbow peace
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 26th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
"P.S. Glad we were able to let our differences go and be civil again... it isn't always EZ to agree to disagree and I hope you have done that..I have."

I am not one to hold grudges, I didnt know we had anything to hold grudges over to be honest. If I didnt let things go with people who disagreed with me, i would have no friends, no family, no life.

I am so glad, to hear from someone who has watched Jesus of nazareth, stoned and had their mind blown..... when i told my friends about it, they just looked at me as if i were a crazy person.

AD is based on the book of ACTS and is by far a much better film for a lot of different reasons, a couple are that the gospel accounts of jesus' life are so well dramatized and so well known its easy to get bored. Another thing is it isnt about Jesus, but his followers, it takes on an even more human perspective. I have the 6hr DVD version but there is also a 12hr VHS version. Everytime I watch it I discover something new.

DVD can be found here:

http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?S ID=1&Product_ID=2516&SKU=AD-M& ReturnURL=search.aspx%3f%3fSID%3d1%26Searc hCriteria%3dA.D

I havent ventured to watch the passion of the christ stoned yet, i think that would be some hard viewing.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Gu£st for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
A.D. I have not heard of. The Passion had subtitles and after having a stroke I cant follow movies with subtitles and I used to love them...now, I cant handle it, it gets me stressed and irritated and sad and aggravated with myself Rolling Eyes to try. But I digress...
I am not one to hold grudges either...not at all. Forgiveness rocks and people are people. Life ... Wink
Anyway, I will check out A.D. Sounds interesting. I am cure I will dig it. Thanks for the tip. respect

When you said "If I didnt let things go with people who disagreed with me, i would have no friends, no family, no life. " I was like WOW Neutral that is good...I got to remember that. I'm afraid I am not that forgiving sometimes...I wrote a poem about it. Its called Forgive Me Father


pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray


Forgive me Father

for I have sinned.

Forgive me Father

for I'll sin again.

Forgive me for

what might have been.

Forgive me if

I live again.

Forgive me if

I've hurt a friend.

For give me Father

for I have lived.

pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray pray

Peace and Love,
Homer rainbow
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2008
Experienced User
I'm completely for marijuana being legalised full stop - ie. not just for medical reasons. People should be able to use it legally as a recreational drug too in their own homes. Because alcohol is legal and so are cigarettes and look what they do to people.

And yeah I do agree with you, I reckon the only reason that it is still illegal is because the government woulndt be able to tax it if people could just grow it. If it was legalised it would take the business away from the dealers. Also quite a lot of people who do illegal drugs do it because they enjoy being rebellious and they get a kick out of doing something illegal. Make it legal and it might not be so much of a thrill.

Cigarettes are legal and addictive, and do you huge amounts of harm - tobacco has no proven health benefits. Marijuana may still be harmful to smoke but it still has many positive effects on health - it can be used as pain relief for migraines and headaches, can help people relax and de-stress and it can also be eaten, or taken in the form of a tea, when you wouldnt face the risks of smoking it.

Alcohol is probably the most harmful drug I know. It can damage your liver, heart, and makes you act in a completely irrationally, sometimes violently or aggressively. Alcohol leads to much higher levels of antisocial behaviour than any other drug I know. Cigarettes have no health benefits, and check it out - these are both LEGAL!! Marijuana is a drug that could be used both medically and safely as a recreational drug and does little more than just make you feel really chilled out - and possibly LESS LIKELY to become aggressive? Why is it still illegal?
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank GreyWolf for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2008
Experienced User
Gu£st wrote:
The reason it is illegal is that it can cause the user to think, they dont want the population to think.


Aye!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Helpful drugs can only be prescribed by a doctor! How dare we try to cure ourselves without making the rich richer!!

Alcohol is legal because when they did make it illegal, people continued to drink it, and because of the ILL EFFECTS of it, they created organized crime and realized "Let's make it legal again so they don't kill us all". The problem with MJ users is that it makes them completely mellow, and usually only talk about why it's illegal, and may write a letter or two; but certainly not riot and burn down city hall.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Lilly Ivy for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Lilly Ivy wrote:
Helpful drugs can only be prescribed by a doctor! How dare we try to cure ourselves without making the rich richer!!

Alcohol is legal because when they did make it illegal, people continued to drink it, and because of the ILL EFFECTS of it, they created organized crime and realized "Let's make it legal again so they don't kill us all". The problem with MJ users is that it makes them completely mellow, and usually only talk about why it's illegal, and may write a letter or two; but certainly not riot and burn down city hall.
True that...maybe we should start a revolution!!!! protest protest
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2008
Experienced User
Lilly Ivy wrote:
Helpful drugs can only be prescribed by a doctor! How dare we try to cure ourselves without making the rich richer!!

Alcohol is legal because when they did make it illegal, people continued to drink it, and because of the ILL EFFECTS of it, they created organized crime and realized "Let's make it legal again so they don't kill us all". The problem with MJ users is that it makes them completely mellow, and usually only talk about why it's illegal, and may write a letter or two; but certainly not riot and burn down city hall.


I agree, I think it purely burns down (excuse the pun) to money. If the government can't tax it and make loads of money on it then they won't let anyone use it.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank GreyWolf for this post: homerx 

replied December 16th, 2008
My opinion is that ANY substance that has the possibilty to increase human health is worth any money loss.
It should also be legal for anytime use, so long as it is at the users risk - like smoking tobacco.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank GothMan for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied December 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Deaths per year resulting from alcohol: 100,000
· Deaths per year resulting from tobacco: 430,000
· Deaths per year resulting from aspirin: 180- 1000
· Deaths per year resulting from legal drugs: 106,000
· Deaths that have ever occurred in direct result of Cannabis: 0 (that's right zero)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply