I have chronic UTI's for several years now (5 -6 per year).
I have been to my family doctor who prescribes antibiotics and they usually work however as I am getting older (age 42) I have noticed I get them more often

I follow all of the rules with wiping front to back, drinking plenty of fluids, going to bathroom after sex etc.

What am I doing wrong and should I see a Urologist
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Women who have frequent UTI's may continuously take low doses of antibiotics (the antibiotic can be taken daily, 3 times a week, or immediately after sexual intercourse).
Instead this, you may try to drinking cranberry juice (about 10 ounces [about 300 milliliters] of juice or 2 ounces [about 50 milliliters] of concentrate per day) or taking cranberry pills, because cranberry fruit contains a substance that directly inhibits bacterial attachment to the bladder and because it acidifies the urine (making it a less hospitable environment for bacterial growth).
Sometimes abnormal connection (fistula) between vagina and bladder can lead to frequent UTI's.

Check your sugar blood levels, too!
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 10th, 2009
I've been in the same boat, luckily mine have gotten less frequent as this year went on...but anyway, I actually started taking the cranberry pills almost daily and it seems that has helped. So I would def recommend them!Smile

Just wondering about the sugar blood levels...is that a common thing for them to check at the doc with persons with frequent UTI's? I had a CAT Scan and everything was good, so they referred me to a urologist.. They've never asked about my blood levels or anything...so I guess my question is, does the amount of sugar a person eats be a factor in getting these annoying UTI's?
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 3rd, 2011
Chronic UTI
UTI can be very serious. See a urologist and get a cystoscopy to make sure nothing is malfunctioning. I have had them since I was 2 yrs old. They urologist at that time said I had a narrow urethra and streched it out. When I was 29 finally fixed the problem, I had reflux which meant not born with a shut off valve from bladder to kidney. This damaged my kidneys and now have CKD stage 3. Just wish the urologist would have found this when I was young. See a urologist to make sure nothing is structurally causing your UTI's
Did you find this post helpful?
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....