Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

chronic throat infections since mononucleosis

In August of 2008 I was diagnosed with having mono. I had already had it for about a month and half but I was deployed in Iraq (I'm in the army) and the docs I went to kept insisting it was strep throat until they finally did the mono test. So after a few months I was fine then during the holidays I started to get chronic sore throats with white excudate on my tonsils, red bumps on the back of my throat, head aches and swollen glands all along the left side of my neck. I was told it was just a viral infection and it would go away. Then I redeployed to the states and the infections kept persisting on and off again. During this past summer in July I started to get bad migraines with the sore throats and I also lost my voice for a few days. I saw one of my clinics PA's and she tested me and told me I had chronic mononucleosis. Basically there wasn't going to be anything to do for me and I would have to live with it. Then a month later she left and I was told to she the head doc at the clinic in charge. He said he never heard of chronic mono and didn't think there was anything wrong with me, even though I had white excudate on my tonsils and red bumps on the back of my throat at the time also.
This is a problem I've had to deal with for over a year. I feel tired all the time, have chronic sore throats with white excudate on my tonsils all the time. I also get migraines every once in a while now and the glands on the left side of my neck will swell up from time to time and even right now my tonsils have white excudate and the back of my throat has red bumps on it. I haven't been able to get any help or a second opinion and if I could get any help at all from anyone it would be greatly apreciated. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 15th, 2012
similar
Did you ever find out anything? I too had Mono a year ago and strep three times. I still get sore throats and headaches off and on. I have white fluid oozing out of my tonsil when I press on it. Sad Hope you found some answers.
|

replied February 15th, 2012
No I never did. I got better over time, but it seems that my whenever I am sick now I basically get infections in my throat. And I also seem to get strep throat very easily. I'm guessing because of mono it made me more sensitive to throat infections? I don't know. I'm sorry to hear you're still suffering. Maybe try and go to the doctor's and see what's going on. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
|
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....