First I am going to describe my symptoms which lead to my diagnosis then follow up with questions because a few things just do not make sense to me regarding this condition...So since the beginning of this year I had been extremely sick, with what seemed to be flu-like monthly flare ups. I went from doctor to doctor and was just sent for blood tests. Blood tests came back fine. This lead me to do a little research of my own and I went to an ENT doctor. They sent me for a CT scan of my sinuses because of my nose anatomy (deviated septum and swollen turbinates).

My doctor called me with the results and turns out I managed to infect every single one of my sinuses badly. I was put on 6 weeks of amoxicillin (500mg 2x a day) and a nasal corticosteroid and will get an updated CT scan next week.

What I do not understand is.... with my particular symptoms my mucous is CLEAR. I went to have allergy testing after I got diagnosed and I was negative on everything except cats (already knew that and am never around them). How can I have this nasty infection without yellow/green mucous and with which I tested negative for most allergies?? I have had some blood in my mucous (not much) but other than that it looks clear.

Right now my major symptoms are post nasal drip, ear, eye and throat pain. Does this mean I still have the infection since I still have SOME symptoms? I essentially went from being miserable to "eh" feeling like I have a mild cold.

I WILL find out next week if my sinuses are any better and can update here if anyone else is in a similar situation. I feel like my case is a bit weird. I had NEVER been officially diagnosed with sinusitis before now (I am 23) makes me wonder how long I actually had it...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2013
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Well, recurrent sinusitis like symptoms can be due to infectious nucleosis or EBV infection. You could have contacted EBV any time in your life. What can be determined is whether it is a recent acute infection or whether you have an old infection. In young age and as children, EBV often just presents with flu like symptoms which resolve in a few days and generally are ignored as common flu. Often the virus lies in a sleep mode in the body occasionally causing a flare like you had now, without causing any serious harm. Hence you could also have caught the infection as a child too or when you had flu like infection or when you had what was diagnosed as a viral fever.

You can consult your doctor regarding this. An antibody status may be required. Broadly positive IgG simply reflects a past infection, whereas IgM reflects a current infection. If you are not responding to antibiotics, then this possibility should be explored. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sinusitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.